Do you think that nowadays, it's possible to build products without a project manger?

Salim Boudi
3 replies
The Project Manager position is constantly evolving, many companies build their products without a project manager in their team, they instead opt for a flat structure where no body reports to anybody else, and everyone is responsible for what they build and ship, and we see more and more engineering-led teams. How do you manage to build? what do you think about these approaches?

Replies

Amri
early in my career, i was hired as the lead engineer, only to discover along the way that I've also stepped into the shoes of project manager 🤭
Salim Boudi
@thankyousir More and more companies choose to work without project managers / product managers (The most famous example I know is Valve), and prefer an engineering-led way of building products, where no one have to actually report things to anyone and where everyone is accountable of what they do and ship!
Gurkaran Singh
In the dynamic landscape of product development, the role of a project manager is definitely undergoing a transformation. Embracing a flat structure can foster a sense of ownership and collaboration within teams, but it also requires a finely tuned organizational dance. It's fascinating to witness the shift towards engineering-led teams taking the helm in product creation. Balancing autonomy and coordination is key - what's your secret sauce for successful product building without a project manager?