• Subscribe
  • How to ask customers to provide a testimonial?

Hey PHers, I'm trying to think about how best to approach some new growth ideas, and one that came to mind was to ask my customers whether they would be willing to provide a testimonial that I can put on my website. Any thoughts on how best to approach this? Thanks 🙏

Replies

Yassine Derkaoui
    You could send them a friendly message, letting them know how much you’d appreciate their feedback and how it could help others discover the value you’re offering. If you want to make it super easy (and even a bit fun) for them, check out Vibeo.ai. It’s a simple tool i made that lets your customers record a quick video testimonial from wherever they are, and it handles all the editing magic for you. You’ll end up with awesome & authentic videos that you can slap right onto your website, no hassle 😊
    Fitri Maulida
    Maybe, make the testimonial process easy by providing a form or guide, offering appreciation like discounts or free products, explaining how the testimonial will be used and ensuring their consent, and send a thank-you note after receiving the testimonial.
    Alex
    This is a bit tricky, but it’s all about timing and making it easy when we have a positive interaction with the customer.
    Andrew C.
    the right moment to ask a customer for a testimonial is when they are at their most elevated mood... probably when they have just bought something are are really happy about it... or you have solved an issue for them... you've gotta find the right timing
    Kirsten Nelson-de BĂșrca
    @seizefire @alexjevan thanks for sharing! Speaking to @fitri_maulida's contribution, one way of helping this could be a discount/something in return for asking for a testimonial! Learning as I go :)
    Alex Bilytskyi
    I recently came across an article on this topic, and we're actually planning to implement many of their suggestions ourselves. To effectively ask customers for a testimonial, focus on key moments when they’re most satisfied: 1. Provide Great Support: Respond quickly to support tickets, ideally within 2 hours. When customers are pleased with your help, it’s a perfect opportunity to ask for a review. You’re not just solving problems; you’re building relationships. 2. Capitalize on Upgrades: When a user upgrades to a paid plan, it’s clear they value your product. This is an ideal moment to request a testimonial. 3. Identify and Engage Power Users: These users are highly engaged and often enthusiastic about your product. After recognizing them, ask for a testimonial and consider using their feedback for case studies or beta programs. 4. Incentivize Reviews: Offer small incentives like extending free trials or unlocking premium features in exchange for honest reviews, while always adhering to platform guidelines. For instance, you can offer an additional week of free access for those on a trial when they leave a review on platforms like G2 or Capterra. This approach rewards their engagement and encourages them to share their experience with others. 5. Automate the Process: Set up automated triggers to request testimonials after positive interactions, such as when a support ticket is resolved or a user upgrades. This ensures a steady flow of reviews without needing to manage the process manually. I hope this will be helpful, and that you can implement a few of these strategies for yourself. Good luck!
    Adam Gold
    Are they paying customers? I would assume you have some kind of a relationship with them. I'm usually completely transparent and genuine, telling them it could help us, and asking for their help and permission.
    Kirsten Nelson-de BĂșrca
    @adamgold7 makes sense! I just feel a bit like I'm entering the unknown in reaching out to ask them about this... I guess I can try ask ChatGPT etc for suggestions on how to phrase this so I feel more comfortable :) Thanks for sharing!
    Nitesh Jamod
    You can ask for extra rewards and a discount for the next billing cycle.
    Debra Hetrick
    The best way is to keep it simple and personal. Reach out directly, maybe via email or message, and let them know how much you value their feedback.
    Fraser B
    I offer account credit in exchange for taking a quick survey. If the survey responses are higher than 70% the final page will ask for a testimonial and provide relevant links. If it’s below 70% I ensure we can fix concerns the customer has before leaving a review. Probably get more drop off on the process but it leaves us with great reviews.