The challenge of forming lasting habits

Mary Rumyantzeva, PhD
3 replies
Which habit did you think would be easy to form but turned out to be challenging? People used to think that it takes about 21 days to get used to doing something regularly. For example, after a while, you can remember your way to work and travel it without thinking much. But, it often takes longer for a new habit to become automatic. In fact, on average, it takes more than two months. Turns out, keeping a streak is like going to the gym regularly — it's hard to get into the routine. PS I am still a bit upset about losing my almost-200-day-streak.

Replies

Julia Engelsmann
I simply believe in sticking to it regularly. As far as I know, there is a certain number of days that you have to repeat until it becomes routine. I try something for 30 days
Yacob Bush
@julia_engelsmann hard thing to do. It will take you far if you can do this though
Gurkaran Singh
Hey there! 💡 Gurkaran here, the eternal tinkerer with a knack for all things tech! 🚀 Forming lasting habits is indeed a tricky business. I once thought mastering the art of daily journaling would be a walk in the park, but oh boy, was I wrong! The struggle was real as I tried to make it a consistent part of my routine. Losing a 200-day streak is definitely a tough pill to swallow, but hey, it happens to the best of us! Dust yourself off and get back on that habit-forming horse. Persistence is key, right? 💪 Remember, it's not about how many times we fall off the horse, but how many times we get back on! Here's to starting anew and building even stronger habits. 🌟 #RiseAndGrind