I am a non-technical person with an app idea. Where do I start?

Leena Chitnis
32 replies
Hello everyone, I know that I have to start with making wireframes (right?), but I don't know how to do this and even after trying to go it alone on sites like Bubble, I failed. It's freaking confusing and there is a steep learning curve. Can you recommend an even dummier site for me, or is it better to just give 50% of my company/idea to a coder who will partner with me? I'm already the founder of Timberdog (another startup, which is launching soon on PH), which is taking up my time, so I do need all the help I can get. Any recommendations?

Replies

Mugur Neacsu
Hi Leena, I used external services in order to build my app for ios and android. For me, at least, it is easier to make the app description and features I want, then, to find a freelancer to build it. Good luck and my best wishes, Mugur
Mujadad Naeem
You need to find a CTO and stop trying to do everything yourself. Instead of putting in efforts to do this yourself, put in a lot more effort to see if you find an individual that is ideal to take your vision forward. This is years of learning and education, and you will find it tough to learn everything immediately. Even if you're able to get to a basic level, to have a functional product you'll probably need extensive knowledge of how to create stuff. Good Luck!
Leena Chitnis
@mujadad_naeem Awesome answer. If the CTO does all the tech side (I'll also do some heavy lifting with helping with UI/UX, copywriting, marketing, etc.), what percentage of the company do I give him? I want it to be a motivating amount, but at the same time want to be judicious as I want to be majority owner of the company. I feel that's only fair because I have the idea, the connections, and will be helping with the work on the creative side and front end.
Mujadad Naeem
@chitterz Percentage would also depend on the complexity of the product. Let's say I have a b2b product, and the minimum deal size is around $10,000. See what's at stake here? I would need full on tech support here, and hence pay a good amount to the CTO to keep him/her motivated enough. In contrast, it could be basic support for a B2C product, where much could lie on the communication and the overall service. Again, generalised because I don't know the product. But the bottomline is that you do need to have someone who understands tech and can communicate effectively. All technical stuff cannot also go through you, or a marketer. Some of them has to be communicated to the customer/client from tech side.
Leena Chitnis
@mujadad_naeem Good points, all. My idea is a B2B2C app and would require a third partner to call businesses to sign up for our app. Where are you based? I'd love to talk to you in depth.
Daniel Burns
Arm yourself with knowledge, but it's definitely better to partner up with someone who likes your idea. That's how I founded Testifi, even though I come from a tech background, my partner is the CTO, as I couldn't have done everything by myself.
Leena Chitnis
@testifi Where do I find this unicorn of a partner?
Adam Lui
@chitterz if you call him "partner" then you should be giving him 50%, yet earlier you claimed to be reluctant. Are you willing or not? If not just hire someone from the abundant pool of programmers ready to make money, otherwise flex your supposed connections to easily attract someone w/ 50% (but you can't have it both ways, not give up the equity and not pay them)
Adam Lui
@chitterz ... because programmers aren't dumb, just usually lack ideas, but if you tell it to them they'll just build it themselves i.e. they don't value nontechnical founders for thinking up something that seems to take no skill vs. building it, so you will have a hard time getting them to work for you for little pay or equity
Leena Chitnis
@adamlui But you just said they aren't willing to work for equity as they'd build it themselves...so which way should I go? A lot of people don't give up half the company to someone who is going to build it. After all, I'll be doing most of the heavy lifting after it's made and even during...
Adam Lui
@chitterz I meant "little pay" or "little equity" sorry, if 50% and you truly have connections they will jump in bed with you right away. Also your view on heavy lifting is different than theirs, to you it's getting customers but to them is maintaining the software. So do you see, it will be hard to find anyone for little pay or equity?
Prem Saini
A organised strategy is necessary when developing an app idea as a non-technical individual. Establish your app's primary objective and target market first. Then, think about using a wireframing tool to design the structure and functionalities of your app. To produce a visually appealing prototype, work with a freelance designer or use design software. Then, get in touch with a software development company or a freelance developer to turn your app prototype into a finished product. Throughout this phase, collaboration and communication are essential to ensuring that your vision is accurately turned into a usable app.
Leena Chitnis
@prem_saini1 Great answer!!! I have the whole idea down, but can't I bypass all that stuff and just go to a full stack developer so he can do the front and back end?
Myles Connor
Develop a comprehensive business plan outlining your app's strategy, revenue model, marketing approach, and financial projections. This will serve as a roadmap https://blacktiedetailing.com/ for your app's development.
Hitesh Suthar
I think all you need is a no-code platform and nothing else, at least to validate your idea. and when you are clear about your idea practically, then you can start hiring and developing. and speaking of No-Code, me and my team are developing a No-code platform and would love to give you to test your idea and more.
Leena Chitnis
@hiteshsuthar If you can grandfather me in to use it free for life, then I'll beta test away. I've done this for other platforms that have gone on to be sold, such as a B2B version of Slack.
Hitesh Suthar
@chitterz Sure, I will talk to my team. and let you know. you can connect to me on my LinkedIn or Twitter for further.
André J
Launching soon!
I would validate to make sure its an asymmetric opportunity. Chasing commodity ideas is a waste of time. If it is an asymmetric idea. Then you won't have a problem attracting a technical co-founder. Just reach out to 10 of them and one of them will join for sure.
Leena Chitnis
@sentry_co Not sure what you mean by asymmetric? Like a home run of an idea? Most ideas aren't this...you start out with crap and pivot until you hit gold...
Audrey Liu
Launching soon!
Once you've validated your idea and have a general framework for your app, you can also consider outsourcing the development part. But +1 to what others have said here, to find a CTO as a partner and spend more time validating your idea upfront.
Leena Chitnis
@audreyliu1 Outsourcing = hundreds of thousands of dollars. I barely have enough money to eat most days, seriously. I'd rather hire a CTO and give him a large chunk of the company!
Dorus van Keulen
By doing. Watch tutorials and start today! Axure is a good tool to wireframe