What is the optimal number of monitors for work? and why? Debating with my co-founder..

Guillaume Sá
15 replies
1, 2, 3, or 4, or as many as possible?

Replies

Julie Chabin
I have one screen. But it's 32" 😁
Nuno Reis
I think it's a personal preference, but my preference is two. It helps to have one screen for input (reading documentation, looking at graphs etc.) and one for output (developing, sending messages, having that meeting window). There may be cases where more input/output options are needed (data jobs, stock trading, live monitoring) and therefore more screens, but two work for me. Hope this helps in the discussion with your cofounder :D
satwik G
One monitor is absolutely enough, IMO. It’s like Parkinson’s Law: work expands to fill the number of monitors allotted to it.
Bjarn Bronsveld
Depends on the monitor, hehe! I use a single Super ultra wide (5110x1440) 49" and I don't want to go back to two (or three) 27" monitors.
Abhishek Jha
With dual monitors, you can have your main work on one screen and use the other to display reference materials, email communication or video conferencing, among other uses. This can help reduce interruptions and distractions while increasing focus and speed. Additionally, using multiple monitors can help prevent eye strain and physical discomfort, as it allows for more natural head and eye movements instead of constantly turning and repositioning a single screen. Overall, while the optimal number of monitors may vary, having two or more displays can be a useful productivity tool for many professionals.
Richard Gao
2 is enough for me I notice if I have 3 I don't use them as much
Peyt Spencer Dewar
1-2. More than that is overkill
Golfo Vasiliou
I currently have a macbook with slack open, 1 screen with a figma design open, and another bigger one split in half with VSCode and a browser. As a FE developer it's really convenient for me to be able to see the changes I make immediately.
Oswald Soto
The optimal number of monitors is 2, but they must be of uniform dimensions.
Aida Zu
Depends on the things you do.
Michael Silber
Two is ideal for my purposes, but the thing that ends up being more important is having a window manager. In my case, I use Rectangle to easily move windows or quickly setup a split screen.
Aviel Kogan
In most cases, 2 are enough.
Jiren San
Why use subpar materials when bathroom fitters london you can select top names like Farrow and Ball, Dulux, Johnstone, or Sadolin?