• Subscribe
  • Be honest and tell me if you’re tired of the same messages 😔

Gordana Laskovic
    12 replies
    Let’s be clear: I really love the PH community and I’m in regular touch with many founders and marketing managers. However, I’ve noticed that I get daily requests on LinkedIn asking for immediate support, like upvotes and comments. I’ve never minded this before, but I don’t feel great when someone sends me a message without first sending a connection request, or worse, when they read my message without responding. I think this community should be about mutual respect and support, not just individuals seeking their own benefit without considering how they can support other Product Hunters. How do you feel about this? I’m sure it happens to you too.

Replies

Luka Brzin
    This is the unfortunate reality of Product Hunt. There are no real tech enthusiasts here anymore, only people looking to promote their products, That is why PH has become irrelevant in launching a product. Upvotes and comments mean nothing, only users do. And PH does not get you users.
    murph
    I don't get that as much, but it does often feel like groundhog day in terms of the discussions posted here tbh
    Krista Pettersen
    I'm newer to product hunt but I can understand where you're coming from. I've had a lot of fun supporting other launches and testing new products but if it's a one-way street with no back-and-forth discussion or support that would get old fast.
    Peter Hansen
    I agree with you, but on the other hand, those asking me for support do this in a respectable manner and almost always offer their support, so that doesn't bother me. What I think is "out of context" are postings asking questions like "What are your plans for the weekend?" "What's your favorite color?" etc.
    Gordana Laskovic
    @trumpeter It all feels the same to me, generic, like it was written by AI - which, in most cases, it actually was.
    Olivia Jane Peterson
    I hear you, man. PH definitely ain't what it used to be. Feels like everyone's just here to shill their own stuff now and get some quick visibility. But I wouldn't say it's totally irrelevant for launching... If you hustle and promote smart on other channels too, the upvotes and comments can still drive some legit traffic and buzz. Gotta work the system, ya know? 🤷♂ Still rough out there for indie makers though, I feel ya on that.
    Oliver James Hawthorne
    PH definitely isn't what it used to be for launching products. Even with tons of upvotes and comments, the real value is in acquiring users which PH struggles with these days. I still enjoy discovering new tools here occasionally though! Anyone know of alternatives that are better for getting early traction and users? I'd be curious to check them out.
    Jacob Nathaniel White
    You're not wrong, but there are still some gems here if you look closely! 💎 I find the occasional insightful discussion or unique product. But agree, a lot more self-promo these days sadly. 😕 Gotta adapt and find value where we can! I still ❤ PH for the community. Focus on quality over quantity, my friend.
    Gordana Laskovic
    @jacobnathanielwhite To clarify: I didn't say there aren't valuable discussions, tools, or people. My point is that people mostly seek "quick support" without offering any support in return, and they often sound like bots. 😂