• Subscribe
  • Debate Time: What's the worst tech advice you've ever received? 🤔💡

Bilal Asif
    11 replies
    We've all had that moment when someone gave us tech advice that turned out to be a total fail. Mine would have to be "Just turn it off and on again—works every time!" Spoiler: It did not work every time. 😅 What's your tech horror stories?

Replies

Candy Portuondo
    I was advised to you a single password for everything to simplify login. Huge security risk and ended up with a hacked account. 😬
    Hibba Shahid
    The worst tech advice I've ever received was to 'stick to what you know and avoid learning new tools or platforms.' Embracing new tools, experimenting with different platforms, and continuously learning are essential to staying relevant and innovative.
    Nifal Adam
    @hibba_shahid That's bad advice! I agree that staying the same can stop you from growing. It's good that you've chosen to learn new things.
    Jack Lipsky
    @hibba_shahid Exactly! Being told "oh this is just a fad, don't waste your time" was a big one I was told growing up.
    Marc-Oliver Gewaltig
    "Metaverse is going to be huge"
    Nathan Covey
    That blockchain would be as transformational as the internet. It is an amazing technology for sure, but not even close to the impact of the internet.
    Isabel Hely
    A colleague suggested I should install multiple antivirus programs for better protection. It just slowed everything down and caused conflicts.
    Evelyn Rose Sinclair
    Haha, I got terrible advice early in my tech career to avoid open source tools and only use 'enterprise grade' proprietary software with expensive licenses and support contracts. What a racket! These days I'm all about experimenting with the latest frameworks, databases, AI tools, etc. Keeps things exciting and helps me build better products faster. You gotta keep learning and evolving in this field.
    Griffin Rhys Donovan
    The worst tech advice I've received is to insist on building everything from scratch instead of leveraging existing tools, libraries, and platforms. While it's good to understand fundamentals, not taking advantage of the incredible open-source and commercial tech available today is a huge waste of time and effort. Stand on the shoulders of giants!
    Kavya Tripathi
    Sticking to old rituals. No new learnings.
    Kavya Tripathi
    No mentorship as well. ‘Saying this is the right way to learn, figure out yourself’