• Subscribe
  • Do Marketing Skills Matter in Every Role?

Priyanka Saini
    27 replies
    From my experience, I've learned that having marketing skills is essential, no matter your role whether you're a product manager, designer, or developer. Without these skills, selling your product can become a real challenge. For example, a product manager who understands marketing can effectively communicate the product’s value to potential users, ensuring it reaches the right audience. Similarly, a designer who knows how to market can create visuals that not only look good but also resonate with the target market, enhancing user engagement. Consider a developer who can highlight their work through social media or personal projects. By showcasing their projects and how they solve real problems, they can attract attention and potential clients or employers. What are your thoughts on this? 🤔

Replies

jackCheng
    I think that's right, everything can be sold and needs to be sold, we also need to have the skills to sell, and the most important thing is that the specific product needs to create value for your users
    Priyanka Saini
    Our team is hard at work enabling direct import of reviews into your Feedspace account. I'm actively marketing this feature so everyone can benefit! The best part? 👉🏽 You can showcase those reviews right on your site! Users love it for simplifying review gathering from different platforms. Capture your reviews before they disappear! Check out : https://www.feedspace.io/ if you are on x and linkedin lets follow: https://x.com/PriyankaSaini28 https://www.linkedin.com/in/priy...
    Natalia Toth
    I agree, ideally, everyone on the team should be able to market / sell the product. Not that everyone should have hands-on marketing experience, but everyone should understand the market, the users, and our product's position. That's why Product marketers exist in my opinion - it's their job to enable the rest of the team on the product value and the market on the other hand :)
    Priyanka Saini
    @natalia_toth Totally agree! Having that shared understanding of the market and users really strengthens the whole team. Product marketers play such a key role in bridging that gap and helping everyone communicate the value effectively. It makes a huge difference!
    Obsolution
    @natalia_toth everyone should know what the product is but not everyone is good at sales. It’s important at the beginning of a startup that everyone is involved but as you grow roles should be defined so people step on each other’s toes.
    Eric Lens
    I think marketing skills are super helpful no matter what role you’re in.
    Jurijs Ivolga
    Ok, I'm on interview and those guys across table just seeing me first time in their life and now I need convince them that not only I have all technical knowledge what is in my CV, but I need to make them think that I will fit that role, I will fit their team and I'm aligned with values of that company. Basically I need to sell my role to them. I think this is marketing... If you want to get hired, you need to be able to sell your skills... So yes not only every role, but every individual should have some marketing skills.
    Lonny Shatzel
    I see marketing skills as a bonus in any job.
    Brandon Linn
    I believe marketing skills matter, but it depends on the role. If you’re in sales or customer relations, they’re crucial.
    Grace Rodriguez
    Yeah, I think marketing skills are important in any role. It’s all about making sure people get the value of what you’re doing, no matter your job.
    Business Marketing with Nika
    minimalist phone: creating folders
    minimalist phone: creating folders
    I agree with what you wrote. Because when you are visible, it is easier to sell things and when you understand the processes needed for marketing efforts, you can plan more effectively. I would be up for having more skills in the arsenal :)
    Alexander Galitsky
    Yes, even for parenting ☝🏻
    Bryan Williamson
    I love this take! Creating a story around what you do really elevates your work. Those marketing skills can definitely help in sharing projects more effectively.
    Hazel Mathew
    I completely agree, Priyanka! Marketing skills really do help bridge the gap between a great product and its audience. A product manager who can articulate value is invaluable.
    Lazar J
    I think it’s also about building relationships. Knowing how to market yourself and your work can open so many doors, regardless of your role.
    Rock Turner
    Overall, marketing skills empower the whole team, enhancing individual roles and contributing to the product's success.
    Michael Thomas
    A marketing mindset fosters better collaboration. When everyone understands the basics, aligning on goals becomes easier.
    Rahul Manjhi
    I completely agree! Marketing skills help product managers communicate value effectively and boost product reception.
    Riley Tate
    I think marketing skills are really useful in any role. They help with communication and understanding your audience.
    I completely agree with your perspective, Priyanka. Marketing isn't just for marketers anymore, it's a universal tool!
    Momin Ul Abidin
    Absolutely agree with your point, Priyanka! Marketing is not just limited to specific roles anymore—it’s becoming an essential skill for professionals across the board. Understanding your audience and effectively communicating value is key, whether you’re a product manager presenting a feature, a designer creating visuals, or a developer showcasing projects. Marketing skills help bridge the gap between technical expertise and user engagement. It’s all about making your work stand out in a crowded market and ensuring the right people see the value you bring. Great insight!
    Yanlin Wu
    I believe the workplace is a huge market, and everyone is selling their talents or products :) For content creators, business owners, IT, designers, or even influencers, all of them should do surveys, to know what the requirements and the lack in the market, to know how to operate the whole business...