• Subscribe
  • Do you have support from your family when you run your business? What do you do if not?

I never came from a business-oriented family. Parents, friends – not at all. That's why it took me a long time to "wake up" and start doing something because they kept showing me only the disadvantages of doing business. Of course, my circles are already different. Where do you look for support if you don't get it from your environment where you grow up? For me, it was this procedure: – Extracurricular activities. – Joining the accelerator. – Joining various forums and internet groups. – And I'm here.

Replies

André J
    Nurture "peer"ships you find along the way. They usually surface in unexpected ways. Usually from a mini fights (In my case 😂) peer-support is the best support IMO. They experience many of the same things you are, so they are with it. Senior mentors, great too but different.
    Business Marketing with Nika
    minimalist phone: creating folders
    @sentry_co I think that I do not understand the concept of "mini fights?". 😅
    André J
    @busmark_w_nika 😏 You gotto create some friction to create 🔥
    André J
    @busmark_w_nika Emotional punch 🥊 as a service💁🏻. It gets the people going.
    @sentry_co So in that case I am totally off from this game.
    @sentry_co my source of inspiration lies somewhere else. 🏃‍♀️
    Lyudmila Popova
    I have no support from my family. Ever since I traded a cool, stable career as a lawyer for a startup a few years ago, my whole family has been very resentful of me and ignores any discussion of my business in this field. Over time, I've learnt to rely on myself. And friends, partners, colleagues, community, mentors, self-development became my support.
    @lyudmila_popova sometimes I find it sad that the closest ones, who should be your support are totally opposite. On the other hand, when their reality was always a "regular" job, it is a totally different world for them. I felt like between me and my family is total gap and I like my family (BUT this will sound harsh: the fact I detached myself from them a bit helped me a lot).
    Lyudmila Popova
    @busmark_w_nika I'm really sorry that you're so worried about this. And I think it's really cool that you just chose your path. It doesn't mean we love our family any less, but it's okay to not meet other people's expectations and when people don't meet our expectations it's okay too😊
    Sacha Dumay
    what is currently supper valuable is to join meetup and also create small hardcore whatsapp group where we exchange our learning on a daily basis
    @sacha_dumay do you know also about good conferences worth attending? (I am creating a list)
    andi wir
    My family is everything, they are always there to offer advice 😊
    We can become one family also there too: LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/nika... Twitter: https://x.com/BusMark_w_Nika Different channels: YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@busines... Substack: https://substack.com/@businessma...
    AnnaHo
    Launching soon!
    @busmark_w_nika let's connect
    Matt Caine
    no... iam arrogant bastard so it never bothered me at all.
    AnnaHo
    Launching soon!
    Yes, I have support from my family, but if I didn't, I would stay focused on my goals and rely on my own determination.
    @annaho2000 I think that self-orientation is the best we can do :)
    Naomi Febriska Yuberthina Tahapary
    @annaho2000 wow you're amazing about that. I agree with your comments 😊😊😊
    Monty Parin
    No, I have no support from family 😥😥, I started my business by myself and it was a very difficult time for me
    Nathan Covey
    This is such a great post. You are self made Nika!
    Amanda Nicole Harris
    Family support makes a huge difference! If you don't have it, finding mentors and a tight network of fellow entrepreneurs who "get it" is key. Surrounding yourself with people on the same journey, who understand the ups and downs, provides invaluable moral support and advice when you need it most. Don't be afraid to nurture those peer relationships - some of my best biz buddies started as people I butted heads with at first! 😂 Senior mentors are great too, but peers who are in the trenches with you...that's the secret sauce IMO.
    Paweł Puchalski
    I don't feel like I do get support, at least not in my business. (for anything else they are lovely) My family tries to enforce me to pursue so called "plan B" even before trying to work on "plan A". But I get it, they come from different times where the only option to make a good living was: 1. go to university and learn. 2. sign to a party and be a mindless tool for apparatus [hint: communistic country back in the days] I didn't got support when I was dropping out from university, nor when years after I was starting with my own work. The best thing that I could do was just to believe in myself, do small steps, and not to talk with them about my plans to prevent any forms of gaslighting. Also here I need to mention importance of people who believe and support you. You need to find someone who will share an enthusiasm in your endeavours (and that goes both ways, you also should bring the same energy towards those people, plus it cannot be a "Yes Man"). In my case I was fortunate to have a girlfriend who supports me and pushes me forward even when I doubt myself.
    @pawel_puchalski Are you from central/eastern Europe? Esp. Slavic countries. Because it feels like this mindset is something we have been raised in. 😅 Not to be different, not to run a business and be like the "rest" of the group. Getting in touch with people from the West made a huge difference + I try to surround myself with people, who are encouraging. Also one of the thoughts I heard has helped me and I stick to it: "Leave the people who put logs under your feet outside the door. You don't need such 'companionship'." – when I feel it, I restrict contact with them.
    Paweł Puchalski
    @busmark_w_nika you guessed right :) I'm half Polish, half Ukrainian with a little bit spice of Georgian. You're right. The mindset of Slavic culture is don't be different, so running your own business might seem weird or even suspicious to some people. On the other hand, there is an inherited admiration for grind/ work (especially when it's physical). I really do like the Western approach, especially the American "Build a plane while you're flying it", and I try to get inspired by it. Inspired is a keyword, as I also find some unhealthy traits in the Western approach.
    @pawel_puchalski 🤝 We are Slavic people, so it is familiar to me as well! :D And one thing that we have in common is that we can be thrifty (I would say) :D
    Emily Grace Bennett
    If you don't have family support, finding a solid peer group is clutch. Connecting with other founders who are in the trenches with you, dealing with the same struggles, is so valuable. They just get it in a way others don't. Mentors are great too but having those real-time sounding boards going through it with you is 🔑
    Naomi Febriska Yuberthina Tahapary
    yes, i get support from family by giving a form of spirit of abstinence. they will support everyone i can work with and thanks to their help i can take up for work as a freelance 😊😊
    suti harsih
    Unfortunately I don't.. But Luckyly, I have support directly from God by making everything straightforward and making my friends and all people out there supporting it continuously