• Subscribe
  • Founder mode!

Neel Patel
    14 replies
    Interesting article recently got viral and speaks volume about how modern companies should be operated. Have you read it? Thoughts?

Replies

Viktor Surkov
    Micromanagement!!! - that is a HUGE misconception on how most people get that article from Paul Graham. He wasn't talking about micromanagement in its pure form, where you should track the execution of each small task. He was saying that the founder should be in DETAILS about his business, which means he should understand how it works, and understand all decision-making processes, which is NOT micromanagement. Also, that wasn't only his perspective, Brian Chesky also was talking about that 1 year ago on a podcast with Lenny Rachitsky.
    André J
    @viktor_surkov Yeah, you gotta be really with it. Or it's not gonna work. when you're operational, then you don't have to be in the nitty gritty and can coast a bit more. staying high level is often more than enough at that stage.
    Business Marketing with Nika
    minimalist phone: creating folders
    minimalist phone: creating folders
    I had a look and agree that the founder should be involved in the company processes. It is like training your muscles to not get out of the "challenging" mode. There are still new problems and when you fall from the wagon, the harder you understand the pain points of your clients and customise solutions. Sooner or later you can forget why you started. And that's dangerous.
    Neel Patel
    @busmark_w_nika a lot has been said in that conference tho.
    Griffin Rhys Donovan
    Absolutely agree on staying in founder mode! It's like doing reps at the gym - gotta stay sharp and in tune with the day-to-day challenges. When you're hands-on, you feel the customer pain points directly and can adjust faster. Losing that connection is def dangerous in the long run. Founder involvement is key to staying true to the mission!
    Vaibhav
    Flow State Training
    Flow State Training
    Launching soon!
    It definitely is a good take with the story he mentioned in the article.
    André J
    I actually summarised that article and shared it around. https://gist.github.com/eonist/3...
    Alexander Galitsky
    Can u summarize it please?
    Cedric Jude Hawthorne
    I get you. Even when scaling up, founders need to stay connected and not lose sight of why they started. Delegate but don't abdicate! Tools can help leaders keep a pulse - I use Producthunt collections to track the latest solutions my team is using, ask team leads for Loom videos demoing pain points, and have an open Slack channel for any client issues. The key is systems that give you visibility without losing the in-the-trenches perspective. Stay curious and keep talking to customers regularly!
    Hannah Grace Sullivan
    Totally agree that founders need to stay in the trenches! It's easy to lose touch if you're not involved in the day-to-day. I find it helpful to regularly spend time on customer support, sales calls, and project work to keep those muscles strong. That's the only way to truly understand evolving customer needs and pain points so you can adapt fast. Gotta stay hungry and hands-on!
    Olivia Jane Peterson
    Yeah, staying close to the action as a founder is crucial. It's easy to lose touch if you step back too much. Gotta keep training those muscles to stay in the zone and really understand your customers' needs. That's how you stay agile and adapt with customized solutions. Lose sight of why you started and you're in dangerous territory.