• Subscribe
  • How do you deal with the overload of messages in your private mail and DMs?

Honestly, the last couple of days (ok, weeks) I am not present with some messages. Ok, months :D Maybe you have a good recipe for setting this thing as one of the priorities, or at least improving discipline. My current state is: – to work on things (and to work on more things) – reply to work-related things ... ... ... And somewhere at the bottom is to answer personal messages. 🥲 Which is not good. Creating, building and nurturing relationships is as important (and maybe even more) as building a business because no money will save you better in the worst situations than good relationships. So... share your systems.

Replies

Ashit Vora
    Here's what I do, @busmark_w_nika. 1. Skim through all the messages and left swipe (its a shortcut I have made) to read-later in detail & right swipe to archive. (Learned this from Jeff Su) 2. Then I can go through Read-later messages during free time and reply them. I've canned messages ready on Alfred Snippets. These two steps help me stay on top of emails.
    Business Marketing with Nika
    minimalist phone: creating folders
    @ashitvora are there any special tools for sorting it?
    In case you like receiving messages after 1+ month, connect with me here: https://x.com/BusMark_w_Nika https://www.linkedin.com/in/nika...
    Katerina Dedyulya
    I scan for anything unimportant and delete it immediately, forward what can be handled by someone else, and set aside focused time to reply to the rest. I also batch-check messages at specific times rather than constantly, so I’m not drowning in notifications. It’s all about staying in control, not reactive!
    @katerina_mirrart but I suppose you talk about work messages. What those Personal?
    Katerina Dedyulya
    @busmark_w_nika well for personal gmail helps a lot by bringing it to the folders like promotions i never check hah
    André J
    there is no solution. you gotto be with it. whatever it is. making or engaging with the community. its the same. you gotto be with it. the second you try to take a shortcut people notice and blacklist you in their mind. Like if you answer this with GPT speak. from that point on. your dead to most people. Or use some sort of prefabricated lingo that everyone detects that you're not present. Like I you answer this with: I hear you, some solid points there. I appreciate your opinion. or some bs like that. your toast. sorry not sorry. 🫳 🎤
    @sentry_co When I answer, I want my thoughts to be present when I answer – to make sure that the answer makes sense. When I make my answers under time pressure, I am more likely to pay very little attention to them. So I rather take time but answer properly than communicate in a rush but "shallowly". Sometimes the price I pay is lost relationships but these things happen. TL;DR: Long way to go for me.
    André J
    @busmark_w_nika Just don't answer if you don't have time. In the grand scheme of things. No body cares. 🥶 No answer is way better than mr GPT / mr.shallow answering IMO
    It's quite overwhelming at times, and we do miss out on responding to a lot of messages. So that i can reply with empathy and add some value to whatever that message is, I prefer allocating some time like 1 hr or 30 min on the weekend. This is for those messages that i know are not urgent but need a response. For urgent ones, I literally jump on them as soon as I see them in the day. Also, I have no alert notifications on my phone and desktop that would tell me about messages and emails etc. I have to make space deliberately for checking them out. If I don't do that, I will be sitting on my DMs all day!
    @vertikanigam Share the same feelings. RN, I can spend responding up to 3 hours even when I write very quickly and would be unsustainable to write everybody.
    Nathan Covey
    - I set aside some time every day to go through it - I delete/unsubscribe from anything that seems like spam - Only allow X dms from verified accounts. Maybe this is wrong, but I have never really got a good DM from a non-verified account. This filters out tons of bots
    @nathancovey the points 2 – I should put into practice. But there are still personal messages on every platform (LI, FB, IG, Discord, WA, Twitter etc) I am not able to handle atm :D and do not wanna neglect to anybody, but I do because I answer once monthly or every two months :D according to my mood :D
    Nathan Covey
    @busmark_w_nika oh wow that’s hard to maintain all those platforms. I only use LinkedIn and X. Do you feel like you get value from all of them? Another idea would be to just cut platforms that don’t provide vlaue
    @nathancovey The thing is all platforms I name – there are people I message with but the number of people increases. The convo with them is interesting but cannot handle all at once :D
    jackCheng
    Make it an important part of your daily routine and set aside separate time for processing
    Xinshu Ta
    using the ai to check it first and filter the best emails to me!
    @tankachat recommended tools for personal conversation? But ideally, they should be safe to use :D
    Yanlin Wu
    I simply check my email every day at fixed times, reply those important ones, and star them. And I mark the rest as read. I don't want to waste too much time dealing with these advertising emails.
    @linda_yanlin I should apply the similar system but I suppose that the most of my messages would be postponed :D ups