• Subscribe
  • How do you hire new employees for a startup?

Patryk Pijanowski
    21 replies
    Hi, what is your process for hiring new people? I'm curious where do you look for them and what do you do one step at a time?

Replies

Oleksandr Antonov
    it's pretty easy, Patryk you just need to contact a skilled headhunter, it may help
    Business Marketing with Nika
    minimalist phone: creating folders
    minimalist phone: creating folders
    I once heard that one guy hires people (fresh graduates) according to their publicly available diploma thesis. It is more likely they are interested in the topic + they are not so slapped by reality, still have an enthusiastic and positive approach :D I have never thought about that before like that. :D
    Henry Collins
    Our first hires came from networking events. It’s a great way to meet passionate people who might be a perfect fit for the team.
    Rajesh Sahni
    For my startup, finding the right cultural fit is crucial. Technical skills can be learned, but passion and alignment with our company values are essential.
    Scott Todd
    I showcase my startup life on social media, the fun, the challenges, the everyday hustle. It gives potential hires a realistic picture and attracts people who are excited to be part of the journey.
    Jos Bish
    For me, a standout developer has a solid portfolio and excels in coding challenges. I love seeing how they tackle real-world problems and apply their skills beyond just answering interview questions.
    Henry Lindsey
    I usually start with referrals from my network and then post on niche job boards. During interviews, I focus on their problem solving skills and enthusiasm for the startup’s mission.
    Gemma Lyons
    I start by asking for referrals from people I trust, then I look for candidates on startup focused job boards. The key is to keep the process simple and personal.
    Saige Makenna
    For my startup, I usually start by posting job listings on niche job boards and reaching out to my network for referrals.
    Vitaly Aver
    Based on recommendations from experts or good reliable friends. If I can't find anyone, then I'm just looking at different employee recruitment sites🙌
    Liam Tim
    Our staff recruitment involves a high-tech mix of personalized headhunting and LinkedIn stalking, we then sit down for coffee with each candidate to figure out if they’re the right fit.
    Haider Technical
    if you need seo expert, i can manage your projects
    Ruby Josephine Winters
    For a startup, I'd try to find people who are passionate about the problem space and mission, even if less experienced. Look at their side projects, GitHub, writing samples to get a sense of their thinking and work. Hire for potential, drive and cultural fit over just credentials. Get referrals from your network. And give promising but inexperienced hires opportunities to learn and grow with the company. The early hires really shape the culture and trajectory so choose carefully!
    Ethan Samuel Bennett
    Interesting approach with the thesis - I like the focus on enthusiastic fresh grads! Personally, I think a mix of experienced folks and eager newcomers works well for startups. Gotta have that balance of proven skills and fresh ideas. Also super important to nail the culture fit. I always try to really get to know candidates in interviews, beyond just their resume, to see if they'll mesh well with the team and be passionate about the mission. Building that strong early team is critical! Curious what hiring approaches others have found effective for their startups?
    Daniel Harrison
    Hiring for a startup can be tough! I like the thesis idea - shows genuine interest and fresh perspective. I've also heard of startups doing group interviews/auditions to see how candidates gel as a team. And def don't neglect culture fit - having engaged, positive people who believe in the mission is key in those early scrappy days. AI-based screening tools might help surface top candidates too. Just some thoughts!
    Isabella Claire Anderson
    Smart approach! Finding enthusiastic fresh grads with relevant thesis topics could bring fresh perspectives. I'd also suggest screening for culture fit, growth mindset, and key startup skills like adaptability, initiative, and collaboration. Hiring is so critical for early stage startups. Wishing you the best in building an awesome team!
    Robert Thomas
    For a startup, I'd focus on hiring people who are passionate about the company mission and excited to learn and grow. Look for self-starters with grit and versatility. Checking out thesis topics is a clever idea to gauge genuine interest! Also consider giving practical assessments to see their skills in action. Building the right early team and culture is key. But yeah, that optimism and hunger in fresh grads can be a real asset in the scrappy startup phase!
    Hacer Nade
    To hire for a startup, I typically start by defining clear job descriptions, which helps align expectations. Then, I use platforms like LinkedIn and job boards to attract candidates. After that, I conduct structured interviews to assess fit. Utilizing tools like the SSS Contribution Table for Employers can also help gauge the potential benefits of hiring specific candidates.
    Shane Bernstein
    There's a variety of channels including referrals (the best one), but timing is everything, and the traditional channels - job boards (post & pray), staffing firms (which are really expensive), or DIY sourcing like LinkedIn (which requires a good amount of bandwidth on a consistent basis, which most of us don't have). One of the harder challenges to land the best candidates is branding, but many of the Mid-Enterprise level companies have more resources and budget, which makes it much harder for SMB/Startups to be noticed; It's a small fish/big pond scenario. If you think it would be helpful, you're welcome to check out Rolebot (which is what we've built), For the cost of a 30-day job post, our technology helps companies hire outbound talent globally. Launch a role in minutes, receive a round of qualified candidates daily, and the system schedules interviews with those you’re interested in. (less than 10min/day time commitment) If you're interested in learning more, DM me and I'll throw in a disc code as well.
    Mara Cortes
    Hey @patpijanowski , late to the party, but I have helped many a startup build their teams and absolutely LOVE this topic! First, know what you need to hire for. I don't mean the job you need done now, I mean the job you need now and how you see that job evolving through time. Remember that when you hire, the hope is no to lay off. Second, align that job, with a budget. Again, not just what you can afford now, but what you can realistically see yourself affording down the line. Then, write out the job description and happy hunting! If you want to chat this out, Id love to connect and share some resources or ideas!