• Subscribe
  • How have you learned/are learning to code?

Alexander Alkor
    7 replies
    There are so many ways how people start coding from different professions and specialities. Share your own path! On which stage you are now? What are you planning to reach?

Replies

Emily
    Teorico Vocab
    Teorico Vocab
    I discovered coding when I was 21 (wish I’d discovered it sooner, I love it!!) and did a master’s in Data Science, then after 3 years working in that space decided to switch to Software Engineering (Web Development) since I find the creative aspect of creating & building websites a lot more measurable and rewarding 🀩 I wanted to add Web Dev to my skillset so that I can create my own apps/products, which is my ultimate goal 😊 What about your journey??
    Alexander Alkor
    @_emily_daykin so glad to see your story! it's amazing you've mastered these skills, in my opinion, so I have several questions regarding your journey πŸ’» why have you chosen data science? was it hard? how did you plan to use it in your life when you was learning it? and how do you apply your skills now? about my journey, I've shared in a separate comment, feel free to ask anything 🐱
    Emily
    Teorico Vocab
    Teorico Vocab
    @arthen_factory thanks for sharing your story!! Yes I think it helps to have an end goal (as to what you want to use coding for) to help define your path!! I always enjoyed maths, and was a bit bored of applying it to economics (what I was studying at the time) to be honest πŸ™ˆ so I stumbled across data science as a way to mix maths/stats and coding and was hooked!! I found it really hard to begin with, but was really inspired by the possibilities of it (how you can apply it to ANY industry/domain that has data, and draw insights, make predictions etc!!) So it was incredibly fun to learn!! I got to use it in sports analytics, health care, finance, so it was really exciting πŸ™ŒπŸ» now I’ve moved away from it and the only place I still apply it is in my YouTube channel where I explain a bit of data science to beginners πŸ™ˆ Now I’m doing software development (JavaScript, typescript, html, css etc) and I’m applying that in my job and in my personal projects/products!!
    Alexander Alkor
    As for me, I tried to learn it several times, but I was unsure on where to apply it, so I was very stuck Eventually I became a writer, a content creator, and for now, a content/marketing manager in product teams Now I'm learning coding to develop my own products, but I'm going to focus on peoduct management position, rather than software development itself. It's one of these tech skills I need to realize my concepts
    Samuel Parker
    Started with basic HTML/CSS in high school, then took a few CS courses in college which introduced me to Java, C++, Python. Been teaching myself JavaScript and web development frameworks like React in my free time. Goal is to keep growing my skills and eventually transition into a full-time software engineering role. It's a journey and I'm enjoying the constant learning!
    Kavya Tripathi
    Started with C, then HTML, CSS but was not able to find my way. But as of now I’m proficient in DAX and SQL.
    Joseph Walker
    I started with some online tutorials on freeCodeCamp and Codecademy to learn web dev basics. Built some simple sites and web apps. Now taking a coding bootcamp to level up my skills and learn full stack development. Goal is to land my first dev job by end of this year! It's a challenging journey but super rewarding to build things. Curious to hear others' paths as well!