How often do you multitask?

Nico Spijker
29 replies

Replies

Aditya Chavan
Everyday, why do you think I have a smartphone ;)
Nina Manso
We live in the era of multitasking. Soon enough though, AI will take over and we will all return to a state where we devote all our undivided attention to introspection, contemplation, and philosophical exploration.
Ahmed Raza
@nina_manso That's what I'm doing! I'm working on an ai that will handle all your multitasking so you can have time to chill!
Rajesh Kandaswamy
Very little, only over the weekends when I am doing some admin work while watching college football. I work in concentrated chunks.
Nico Spijker
@rajeshkan72 Concentrated chunks kind of like a Pomodoro? Yeah life admin I tend to multitask as well but I feel it makes it take longer than needed as well.
Prem Saini
All day every day :(
Igor Lysenko
I have a product that regulates all this. And sometimes there are the same priorities and they intersect with each other and I follow the same path.
Jessica Herman
Batch processing: I can group similar tasks together and process them as a batch. This is more efficient than handling them individually, especially for tasks that involve similar operations.
Nico Spijker
@jessica_herman2 Sounds super interesting! Do you have an example of a Batch of tasks you recently worked with?
Parth Kunjir
Hey folks, Juggling tasks daily, and gotta say, FounderBoss has been my savior in keeping it all together. 🚀 How about you? How do you handle the multitasking madness? Let's swap stories! Check out FounderBoss here: notionboss.com
Sohrab Tellaie
perpetually - like right now...
Daria Sokolovskaya
product launch time is the best multitask time)
Lakshya Singh
So often that I am doing it right now :) What about you Nico?
Nico Spijker
@lakshya_singh I try to do it the least possible as I find it breaks my productivity a bit. Goal is deep work but that's easier said than done, definitely more successful on some days compared to others. Studies have also shown that multitasking is also often more context-switching in disguise, so if possible I try to keep focus on one thing/channel at the time to keep my mind fresh and creative.
Nico Spijker
@lakshya_singh Oh, Cal Newport's book? That's a really good read as well! (Deep Work. Rules For Focused Success In A Distracted World - btw)
Sarah
I think I speak for all women when I say always :D
Caroline Schmidt
All day long 🥲
Nastassia
Try not to. Although I work on 5 different projects, I try to devote time to each one and stop doing or thinking about the other 4. It's hard, but it's worth it.
ISTIAK AHMAD
Hey Nico, i would like to share a different perspective on this regard. People actually can not multitask, what they do is multi switching. Humans are not robots. Unless we already have the neuralink of Elon Musk in our head we cant technically do multitasking. However people do often refer to the concept of time management which is another lie and a myth. We should rather seek Focus management which could bring the results that we desire. Hope this make sense to you ( : 👊
Nico Spijker
@istiakahmad There is some great research on this online and I definitely looked into some of the stuff recently as well! You should read "You Can't Multitask, So Stop Trying" on HBR, it gives some really cool perspectives on the topic!
Never, my brain would overheat and explode. Error, can not compute.
Annie Chopra
I dont multitask as much anymore but I think in todays ever changing and fast paced world sometimes it can def feel like you are not getting enough done !
Nico Spijker
@annie_chopra Definitely feel you on the "not getting enough done". Here's an excerpt from and article I published recently that covers the sentiment :) "Engaging in a daily "hustle" has garnered an almost cultish following. It's the gold rush of the 21st century, where success can only be reached through superhuman willpower and relentless labor. The hustle culture convinces people with a simple proposition: Do more, and you shall be more. Hustling is further glamorized by social influencers – creating a (typically not truthful) perfect image of productivity, busyness and success. In business settings, this translates to the badge of honor worn by those with calendars looking like a mosaic with back-to-back meetings. But don’t be fooled: the hustle is hollow. Studies and expert opinions show us the truth: the human brain is not optimized for the simultaneous processing of tasks. What we see as multitasking is often just context switching, each switch eating away at our productivity, creativity and mental bandwidth."