• Subscribe
  • I feel most startups or SaaS don't need AWS, docker, etc. What do you think?

Joseph Adediji
    4 replies
    I am a fan of KISS, keeping it stupidly simple but it seems everyone is all about complicated setups and tech these days. Over-engineering seems to be the order of the day You will hear stuff like Docker, Kubernetes, Serverless, AWS, etc. Is a simple Linux server not enough in this era? Why all these complicated setups?

Replies

Rick Rackow
    Going full out on the whole platform thing might be overkill, indeed. However, things like containers do make your life easier by far and large if you grasped the basics. Meaning if you have access to just a Linux box, you can run so many different things on top in their respective containers, scale, test, tear up, tear down, ship, share and you're basically instantly ready to scale if you get that big success. It also does force you to think at least a tiny bit about disaster recovery. Building that container means, you wrote a dockerfile and you can reproduce that thing again if anything goes south. If you run everything on a bare box that you tweaked and tuned by hand, good luck finding that same setting again.
    Eze Sunday Eze
    Well, I agree with you. Not a lot of startups need to start thunking of "scale" from the beginning. I think most startups use this complicated tools and all because of the mindset of scale from the beginning. Plus it sounds tushee to say your company use them.
    Gurkaran Singh
    It's like choosing between a gourmet meal and a PB&J sandwich - sometimes, simplicity hits the spot. But hey, who can resist the shiny allure of tech toys like Docker and AWS in this digital age?
    Joseph Adediji
    @thestarkster I think we all should start resisting. 😁 Your micro SaaS will most likely not need kubernetes or AWS