• Subscribe
  • Is it only me or have the Product Hunt discussions really changed their direction?

I need to be honest. When I started on the Product Hunt, most of my discussions were about some tips and tricks. It worked perfectly because people received some value and actionable ideas. But the more I write with/to you, the more valuable discussions are those where I do not offer tips or tricks but those where we have a dynamic conversation covering some topic (e.g. I ask for your problem, or your advice). How do you perceive it? What is more/the most valuable for you?

Replies

Muhammad Hassan
    This is a fascinating observation! Instead of focusing only on tips and tactics, discussions have moved towards more lively, problem-solving dialogues. In-depth discussions and sharing genuine difficulties frequently result in more insightful exchanges and connections. Who else would rather have lively conversations or practical advice?
    Andrew C.
    yeah they have... its more discussion with an ulterior motive... so whats yours ??? lol
    André J
    @andrewcanday @busmark_w_nika 🌶️ very sinister in deed. very sinister 😈
    André J
    @andrewcanday The end goal is to rick roll us all, and eat marshmallows while we beg for mercy 🙏 obviously.
    Business Marketing with Nika
    minimalist phone: creating folders
    @andrewcanday @sentry_co Guys, I am not such devil bi**h as André imagines in me. I am much worse. :D
    André J
    @andrewcanday @busmark_w_nika Ive been rick-rolled b4, I know the signs 😂
    Andrew C.
    @sentry_co @busmark_w_nika hahahaha... honesty is the best policy ...lol
    Fay_F
    Yes. Those tips have been told so many times that I can even see the first sentence and think of what the next one will be. Nowadays the thing that attracts people is probably the first thing you say "TO BE HONEST", honest communication and sharing.
    @fay0227 This is eye-opening. Thanks also for noticing this. When you add somewhere "To be honest" it sparks more attention because people take it "more personal".
    Luka Brzin
    I completely agree with you. The difference between the community here vs something like Reddit is that on PH there aren't any negative comments. That makes people overshare their emotions and opinions and they know they won't be judged for it, because people on PH all come from similar background (and they are here for the same thing). I love both. Tips and tricks are amazing and they are really helpful, but I also like to write about more personal topics and read about what people do outside of work.
    @luka_brzin This is a good POV. Reddit has a downvote button and people are hated for their opinion. Which can be demotivating. If you have any recommendations for topics, feel free to share.
    Nathan Covey
    @luka_brzin I think we could use less sugar coating on PH though. That's where Reddit shines. You know they're being honest.
    @luka_brzin @nathan_covey We are kinda kind to ourselves (without using criticism) – yeah, it cannot be good when you want to improve (some people need harsh feedback) but this level is okay. If we wanna more straight approach, there are those other media – but do not recommend FB – there is quite a lot hate :D
    Luka Brzin
    @busmark_w_nika Tbh I prefer Reddit over PH when it comes to selling our product or validating ideas and features. Here, everbody just hypes you up and says the idea is cool, but is it really??
    @luka_brzin I know what you mean – it is too positive there. (and maybe that positivity is a lie). That's why I try to ask people in DMs for feedback, because they cannot hide their real feelings behind others to look good when commenting. :D :)
    Milli Sen
    I think it has become a reliable space to ask for questions and advice. Everyone seems to take on the same journey.
    @millisen Many people try to solve business-related problems so we are likely to find answers to our problems – that's why it works – finding answers in comments (I think).
    Zebracat AI
    Zebracat AI
    Launching soon!
    Yes, I’ve noticed the shift too. Conversations are more valuable when they focus on real issues and dynamic exchanges rather than just tips.
    Udaya Sri
    I may not have been here as long as you have been, but I get your point. I've seen some good discussions and some promotional ones here. I think it's up to us to choose which ones to join and have wholesome conversations.
    @udaya_sri Agree. I also understand that people with a "higher follower base" want to benefit from that and use that power (fair enough). It is all about the way how they can work with the community. If they know how to, their discussions can be enriching.
    Vaibhav
    Someone had to say this. I am seeing purely random discussions that has zero relatability to any of the context here!
    Both are good. And having a dialog with the audience is better.
    @vertikanigam Yes, it is more fluid. I prefer to be present with the audience and that is done when I ask questions :)
    Alexandre Contador
    Videco - AI Personalized Video
    Indeed they have changed.
    Rahul Parmar
    Yes, Product Hunt discussions have shifted focus, often emphasizing emerging technologies and startup culture over product reviews.
    Alexander Alkor
    I've noticed such tips-based discussions aren't as active as dynamic ones, where some personal values and experiences are discussed. However, it seems better to start with tips, at least for me, as it's much easier to manage.
    @arthen_factory Yep, I cannot say that tips are not valuable, some discussions are skyrocketing but dynamic convos are more interesting and interactive. :)
    Anthony Harris
    I totally agree that the most engaging and valuable discussions are the interactive ones where we dive deep into a topic, share experiences, and explore ideas together. While tips and tricks are helpful, I find I gain much more insight from the back-and-forth conversations that really get me thinking. Let's keep having more of those dynamic discussions!