• Subscribe
  • Just launched to a wave of fake engagement?

David
    5 replies
    Today we launched our project here on Product Hunt and we’re honestly a bit disappointed. We did not expect much, but it seems that a big portion of the engagement we’ve received so far is coming from bots / fake accounts. No, we did not pay anyone nor did we spam on social media about the launch. Has anyone else experienced a similar outcome?

Replies

Business Marketing with Nika
    minimalist phone: creating folders
    minimalist phone: creating folders
    I am not so sure what other people launched, but a few weeks back, I experienced many bot comments under my discussions. I have also seen screenshots of communication where particular people tried to offer their services as "bot upvotes"—guaranteed a place in the first five top products. It feels painful when the system is cheated this way.
    Simonas Kauzonas
    In the past three days I've been flagged/suspended two times by Product Hunt, and I'm not a bot. Over support, Ben explained they're updating the filters to make them more sensitive to bot comments, discussions, upvotes, and I got accidentally flagged since I was just quite active. So if I got suspended, I guess bots are much more likely to get suspended. And many of them are not bots, I believe, just other founders who, instead of writing their own words, just use AI to express their ideas. Congrats on the launch, btw :)
    David
    @simonas_kauzonas that’s a bummer! 😅 However, I get more suspicious over the fact that the account is newly created, receives 6+ upvotes instantly and then off course, the comment itself that just feels AI generated. So I don’t only form my suspicion based on the comment, but the overall activity of those accounts.
    Nazir Yusifov
    Launching soon!
    I’m sorry you had to deal with this! I hope the platform developers quickly resolve the issue with the influx of bots and close the loopholes. It would be sad to lose the nice atmosphere of the Product Hunt community. But that’s why we a community—to support each other. If I can help in any way, just let me know!