Please, this is not a community management.

I'm always looking for the right essence to manage the community in the best possible way. And it's still not it. πŸ€¦β€β™€οΈ But the biggest misconception I've heard is that you have to post a lot of posts. mmmm... no... you don't have to Community management, as the name implies, is about managing a community, so: – you moderate the discussion so that people don't kill each other in it, πŸ”ͺπŸ˜€ – you answer questions or respond to answers (if you're the initiator), – you remember things. ---------- I highlighted the last one because it matters a little more. When I saw some good community managers, they knew the non-work environment of the community members. For example, they would ask, "Hey, how did your daughter do in the recital competition?" ---------- The community managers had an overlap in the personal side of things. They got closer to the person on a human level. So the bond was stronger and people felt comfortable – safe. What makes a good community manager is not hordes of posts, but responsiveness on multiple levels + empathy. What community management techniques/approaches do you cherish the most? :)

Replies

Jose RodrΓ­guez
I like this point of view to community management, And remember the things is really matter, you can make friends, and also lose them :D
Business Marketing with Nika
@stan8086 yeah, when people have a spot on you (and on every single step you take), you have to be very careful :D
And the last note: If you want to do it properly, so prepare... it can be time consuming :D
Luca
@busmark_w_nika thanks, I was looking for something just like this to manage the Focused community! Thanks.
@luca3927 Which channels are you about to use to build the community?
Nick Zemlyanskiy
From my experience, personal questions like this about "your daughter" can be easily considered as a private life intrusion. It may work in certain fields, like in Alcoholics Anonymous or similar. But in most cases we build community around some business context, from where we should move to a more private level with pretty much caution.
@klauss_zee This was the only example. I wanted to point out that people pay attention to "small" things in ordinary life. Another example is that once I asked questions about what hobbies people have. Some of them mentioned eg. playing the piano (I know who said that). Of course, the example I mentioned before happened in a private group (Discord channel) and that person previously mentioned the situation so it was not something top secret.
Nick Zemlyanskiy
@busmark_w_nika Oh, you mean building more connections with community members through knowing them better. That's nice πŸ‘
My3 Murthy
Your perspective on community building is brilliant. I haven't built a community myself but have closely watched my past team members do it- a goal for a community to enable people to become contributors than consumers of content. Which lines up perfectly with what you said!
Thank you @my3_murthy :-) Regarding community managers you mentioned, can I connect with them somewhere? :)
Tymek ZapaΕ‚a
@busmark_w_nika Agree wholehartedly. Quality over quantity and a human element in all of it.
@tymzap Sometimes I forget that I am human –> I should spend some time with them. Thanks for the places where we can meet together IRL.
Aarav Krishna
I couldn't agree more on this.
Nishi Bhavsar
Thank you for sharing this @busmark_w_nika. But can you suggest some points on how to make people join the community? Thank you in advance.
@nishi_bhavsar At first, you need to be active there. I was invited into some groups, and almost nobody was there active. When you offer value (e.g. community calls with feedback, with important people in the industry etc. the motivation to join is higher). Start to invite people you have trust in and who (you know) are active. Because those are supposed to make their engagement.
Gurkaran Singh
Community management is like a delicate dance - you need the right moves of responsiveness, empathy, and a sprinkle of personal touch to hit the right notes. Who knew managing a community could be as graceful as ballroom dancing?