• Subscribe
  • What are your thoughts on the current state of LinkedIn as a professional network?

Sajin S
    17 replies
    I want to explore whether LinkedIn has maintained its relevance amidst algorithmic changes, user behavior shifts, and the emergence of competitors. Concerns about engagement levels, content quality, and the platform's ability to meet career goals drive this inquiry, providing insights into how users perceive LinkedIn's current standing as a professional networking tool.

Replies

Eloise lvy
    I’ve noticed that LinkedIn is becoming more like a social media platform than just a professional network. It’s interesting to see how people are sharing more personal content.
    Sajin S
    @eloise_lvy I think it already has become a social media platform. I had to do a major filter to see content that was relevant for a professional, 90% content was just Memes, personal content, movie trailers (this is something new that I have seen lately), political content etc. Its become really hard to see thoughtful content.
    Kavya Tripathi
    I feel there should be a border line between professional vs personal content over LinkedIn
    Sajin S
    I agree with you @kavyaaatripathi !
    Marc-Oliver Gewaltig
    If you’re looking for a job. Ok If you’re looking for job candidates. Ok If you’re a B2B business developer. You’ll be in good company. For everyone else. Go to a place with less pretense.
    Sajin S
    How true @mogthesify! I joined LinkedIn just after University because it was place to build networks with other professionals and find job, gone are those days.
    Business Marketing with Nika
    minimalist phone: creating folders
    I feel that the shift from professional social networks to more informal. Kind of Twitterisation or Facebookisation.. more MEMEs, selfies, and personal (sometimes unrelated stories). It is not what it used to be. Wrote the article about that btw. https://open.substack.com/pub/bu...
    Sajin S
    Yes @busmark_w_nika , it has shifted from budling professional networks and more of Memes, selfies etc. The other day I saw a movie trailer posted by a profile and liked by a contact of mine. I was flabbergasted, why post movie trailers on LinkedIn?! This is why I try to follow content and profiles that post relevant for a professional. Will read your article Nika, thanks for sharing it.
    Business Marketing with Nika
    @sajin_s Good point. But since I am not on FB, I switched to LI and that one feels like FB now :D
    Elizabeth Thompson
    LinkedIn is definitely becoming more cluttered with personal posts that don't really fit the professional vibe. We need better filtering options to separate the work-related stuff from the personal updates and viral reposts. Maybe some AI could help sort posts into 'Professional' vs 'Personal' buckets to keep feeds focused.
    Sajin S
    @elizabeththompson2 I agree, we need a filtering process and using AI to do it is an awesome approach.
    Nathan Jake
    I think LinkedIn is doing a good job of blending professional networking with content sharing. It’s nice to see both career updates and valuable insights.
    Sajin S
    @nathan_jake Yes I agree but don't you think it has become just another social media platform?
    Robin Prime
    I appreciate how LinkedIn is evolving to offer more features and tools. The addition of things like live video and stories adds a new layer of interaction.
    Sajin S
    @robin_prime Yes I agree. I feel it just is copying what other Social Media Platforms have but lately I am seeing good content there among the muck of content that just doesn't need to be in LinkedIn
    Jessica Young
    LinkedIn definitely needs better filtering between professional vs personal content. I find myself wading through a mix of work-related updates, self-promotion, and personal life stories. An option to categorize or tag posts as professional/industry vs personal would help a lot. Or smarter AI to infer the type of post and let users filter their feed. The lines have really blurred and it's diminishing LinkedIn's value as a professional network IMO.
    Sajin S
    @jessicayoungq I agree with you on this. LinkedIn doesn't have this simple but helpful feature so I had to manually filter out those which were irrelevant to me. I really hope they bring something out to help filter this.