What's more beneficial for freelancers?

Pruthvi Raj
12 replies
Working on GIG platforms or building a sustainable freelance business outside GIG Platforms?

Replies

Ferenc Forgacs
I tried gig platforms but they didn't work for me. I felt like every time I had to "win" a project I started from scratch. Being able to get a project from an agency is what worked really great for me. They were satisfied with the work I done so every time they were short on resources they reached out to me. And agencies do have resource issues quite often (especially during holidays). So if'd have to start today, I'd create a portfolio and then I would reach out to agencies.
Sebastian
Ideally you would start with gig platforms to build your name and experience and then transition to direct when you are ready.
Pruthvi Raj
@1988seb by being ready you mean have enough experience and a good portfolio & probably have an audience or network of sorts?
Rich Watson
Well you would need a customer base or history to maintain a sustainable freelance business so you can have returning customers or referrals. I think gig platforms are great, and gets you exposure and buisness quick
Hina Ashfaq
Gig is good when you are starting out.
Divya
Good beginning projects
Launching soon!
There are pros and cons to both options, but ultimately it comes down to what you're looking for in a freelance business. If you're primarily focused on making quick money, then working on GIG platforms may be the better option. However, if you want more control over your work schedule and income fluctuations, building a sustainable freelance business outside of GIG platforms might be preferable.
Abdul Rehman Khalid
To get yourself recognized, you will have to first work on Gigs.
Isaiah Trotter
I'd say the quicker you can spin off doing your own thing without the help of a marketplace, the better. I'm currently making a platform to guarantee freelance work, so if I can build it successfully, it might be the even better option than what's out there now (: