• Subscribe
  • What strange words do you know in your language learning process?

AuroraW
    13 replies
    During my language learning journey, I’ve stumbled upon some amusing words that don’t always have a direct translation. For example, in Spanish, “sobremesa” refers to the time spent chatting at the table after a meal—something that’s such a cultural staple but doesn’t quite exist in the same way in English. 🌏 It’s fun to see how different languages capture unique aspects of culture! What strange or interesting words have you come across in your language learning adventures? 📚💬

Replies

Kat Pim
    I love learning quirky words like Schadenfreude in German, which means taking pleasure in someone else's misfortune. It’s a bit dark but so specific to its own culture
    YanXu
    Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis,very long word
    Filxa Adam
    In Japanese, Komorebi describes the effect of sunlight streaming through leaves. It’s a beautiful concept that doesn’t have a direct translation in english
    kimchi
    A funny one I found in Finnish is Sisu, which means a unique kind of determination or resilience. It's one of those words that carries a lot of cultural weight
    Yolanda C. Schneider
    Flabbergasted,I love this word because it means being extremely surprised or shocked. It just sounds like what it means!
    Shemtov Yogi
    Nefarious ,This word has a bit of an old-timey vibe and means wicked or evil. It feels dramatic and mysterious.
    Haris Morris
    Kerfuffle, I think this is quirky word for a commotion or fuss. It just sounds like the chaos it describes!
    Olivia Jane Miller
    Schadenfreude - such a delightfully expressive German word for taking pleasure in the misfortunes of others 😅 I remember being oddly satisfied learning that one in German class! Anyone else have bizarrely specific foreign vocab they've picked up?
    Julia Watson
    I found the German word Fernweh fascinating. It means a longing for distant places, which I think is so poetic and specific. 🌍
    Christopher Adams
    In Japanese, Komorebi describes the effect of sunlight streaming through the leaves of trees. It's such a beautiful word for something we often take for granted.
    Vanessa truman
    The French term “l’esprit de l’escalier” refers to thinking of the perfect comeback too late. It’s a bit of a tongue-twister but a very relatable concept.