What Tools Have You Used for Hiring Devs or Contractors? Share Your Pros and Cons!

Mak Mo
11 replies
1️⃣ What product or service have you used for hiring developers or contractors? 2️⃣ What did you like about it? (Pros) 3️⃣ What didn't you like about it? (Cons) Looking forward to your responses! 🙌

Replies

Ava Brooks
Used Toptal and Upwork. Toptal's pricier but you get vetted talent. Upwork's more of a mixed bag but better for budget projects.
Mak Mo
@ava_brooks22 Thanks for sharing your experience with Toptal and Upwork. It's interesting to hear that Toptal offers more vetted talent but comes at a higher price, while Upwork provides a broader range of options suitable for budget projects. Do you know if either Toptal or Upwork offer corp-to-corp arrangements? I'm curious about options for hiring contractors to work in-house under a corporate-to-corporate agreement. Thanks!
Braden Floris
I've had a lot of success using Upwork. I like how there is some baked-in IP protection measures, and they handle all of the payments (we've been working on a multi-month project and I can easily review all of the invoices and bills to my account). I also had a lot of applicants to sort through, so it was nice to have options. That said, Upwork does charge a service fee based on the % of the billed amount, instead of a flat rate. That adds up! I also find the UX a bit unintuitive when it comes to navigating billing, past invoices, and upcoming charges.
Daniel Zaitzow
@bradenfloris have you ever pulled someone off upwork and employed them directly or simply just use it for contract work?
Braden Floris
@dzaitzow so far, just for contract work. But if I could, I would hire the folks I’m working with full time, they’re great!
Daniel Zaitzow
Upwork is fine but I tend to make sure the talent is >99% on their job success or whatever the metric is.
Kevin Rogers
Toptal - Pros: Top-tier talent, highly vetted. Cons: Pricey and might be overkill for small tasks. Upwork - Pros: Wide talent pool, budget-friendly options. Cons: Quality varies, takes time to sift through. GitHub Jobs - Pros: Great for specialized tech roles. Cons: Limited to devs and not great for non-tech roles.
Paola Greggio
1️⃣ Revelo does all that. 2️⃣ You can find, hire, and manage world-class remote developers in US time zones, pre-vetted for technical and soft skills. Also have a Payroll solution for global remote teams (here https://www.producthunt.com/post...) 3️⃣ Not any! Test and understand what I am writing
Roman Gordy
Always Arbonum. I made it three years ago to simplify our workflow. Now it is one of the fastest options to onboard & pay remote teams.
Mak Mo
@arbonum wheat is your vetting process?
Roman Gordy
@qa_mak as we are not a marketplace, we don’t need to select contractors. Customers manage the vetting process themselves bringing their teams to us. Even though we have KYC on our side.