• Subscribe
  • Where does your product inspiration come from?

As a maker, we create things to solve a need. Sometimes it’s a need of our own, a need of a close relationship, or an opportunity you may have seen in your professional career. At what point do you tell yourself, “yes, this needs to be a thing”? What are the green flags that mean this is something that needs to be built?

Replies

Royce Wong
    Directly from the people we're building our product inorbit.io for. The green flag for us is that its a repeatable problem to which there are no direct tooling for. It happens often and is painful. If they do have a solution its either too costly or time consuming and at that point its an indicator for us to take the time to narrow in on that value proposition and build.
    @roycewong So your PM took makes the difference by giving more at a lower cost and providing digestible reporting across multiple verticals in an organization?
    Vaibhav
    Flow State Training
    Flow State Training
    Launching soon!
    If you see enough people like you can benefit for this. For example, in your profession.
    @vaibhavdwivedi nice, what do you do for validating it?
    Vaibhav
    Flow State Training
    Flow State Training
    Launching soon!
    @tgsketch Over the years, I have realised that people willing to pay or actually paying for your product is the only form of validation to look for apart from PMF.
    You named mine. We faced problems while delivering on client projects using different design systems. Problems in all shapes and sizes. Figured a lot of design agencies and designers face them too (multiple sources). With solutions to those specific problems, we have our own UIUX suite and design system now. To be opened up soon for downloading by everyone.
    @vertikanigam nice! That sounds like a great solution to simplify the process. Who would be your new competitors in Your space?
    Mohammed Kheezar Hayat
    A problem I already had, as did my cofounder.
    Ezra Quentin Wolfe
    For me, inspiration usually comes from my own needs or frustrations. If I repeatedly encounter a problem in my life or work and can't find a good existing solution, that's often a green light to build something new. I also get a lot of ideas by talking to people in my network about the challenges they face. If multiple people mention struggling with the same issue, that's a strong signal there could be a real opportunity there. The key is validating that it's a widespread need and that people would actually pay for a better solution.
    @ezraquentinwolfe @ezraquentinwolfe definitely true. That evaluation stage in the product launch is the toughest I think because once you do get the green light making sure your solutions cost is viable to your operating costs. Unless you got those skill to make it for cheap haha.