• Subscribe
  • Why do you do what you do? Has your purpose changed since you started?

Before you say something deep/altruistic like "We are doing it for customers..." (Yes, we all should.) Let's start with your inner initial motives. Why did you start? In many cases, one of the main reasons is: – gaining freedom in the future (aka earning money so they can have more time and space for themselves and their families) 🤝 My was "doing things I liked doing". (and the reason still remains – I only broaden the spectrum of activities I like and practice them).

Replies

David
    Launching soon!
    For me, it’s about doing what I enjoy. If I stop enjoying it, I change course. Now, ”enjoying it” can take many forms - whether it’s fun, meaningful or fulfilling. But at the core, it’s always about finding enjoyment in what I do.
    Business Marketing with Nika
    minimalist phone: creating folders
    @davidskr I think that in this we are on the same page David :)
    Guillaume
    My initial motivation was wanting to work on my own projects rather than spending time on client work or on projects that didn’t feel meaningful or useful to me.
    @gde Match! 🙏
    Alex AI
    There are several reasons. First, family. My father has always been an indie hacker. Not in the software/tech sense, but in the sense that he always did everything on his own—houses, cars, businesses. He has so many skills and competencies that I could write a list for days. Second, I enjoy bringing to life the things that interest me. Third, freedom. Going to the office and spending time commuting, having discussions and conversations that didn’t interest me at all, made me think about alternative solutions. Why not do the things you want, be in the places you want, and participate in the conversations you want?
    @byalexai So initially, is it something done by tradition you want to follow? In my case, it is the opposite :D The tradition I do not follow at all :D
    Paula Schiffelbein
    We aim to empower people with technology and provide them with the opportunity to become entrepreneurs. Our purpose has always been the same. Until we accepted and embraced it as our main guide, we experienced what we like to call 'identity crises.
    @paula_schiffelbein Thanks for sharing this personal experience :)
    Udaya Sri
    My primary motivation is to support my family financially, and my second motivation stems from my curiosity about how the world works. As someone in my early 20s, I'm eager to learn and improve, making a positive impact, no matter how small, within my family. I hope to grow from that foundation.
    @udaya_sri Support them. I have seen many young people secure their family future that way their parents can retire sooner. Is this your case too?
    Udaya Sri
    @busmark_w_nika Yes, that's my first priority.
    André J
    I want to be free. And I want to free my friends as well 🐈🐈‍⬛🐿️
    @sentry_co Dobby will be free. 🧦
    Mark Lemuel M
    every one wants to be financially free. escape from 9-5. truth is when you are a business owner you work 24/7 . clients are your boss so no goofing around. the best thing that you can benefit from is the ability to gain momentum in sales in the fastest way possible then buying assets (cashflow) to really make yourself financially free.
    @kilopolki I suppose that having freedom in finances means selling products instead of services. (not trading your time)
    Vitaly Aver
    I started with a simple desire to explore things I genuinely enjoyed and to challenge myself creatively. Over time, that purpose evolved into creating value for others while still staying true to my passions. Freedom and flexibility became bigger factors along the way, but at the core, it’s always been about doing what I love 😌
    @vit_aver what activity do you love?
    Gaby Korablyova
    I wanted to create something meaningful that aligns with my passions, allowing me to express my creativity while also achieving financial independence. Over time, my purpose has evolved to not only focus on personal fulfillment but also on building a community and empowering others through my work✨
    @gaby_korablyova What is the project you are working on and how it can help people to make their life easier? :)
    Winston.
    Never change :) I love seeing how innovation in the tech field helps people improve their lives in various ways.
    @winston_appsallset Seems to be kinda altruistic. I hope that your dream will come true soon :)
    hongkai
    Launching soon!
    Great question, Nika! As a student, I initially started for the creative freedom, exploring my passion for side projects and building something unique that others could enjoy. I genuinely hope that over time, my purpose can evolve to focus on creating value and aiming to make a positive impact. Thanks for sparking this reflection!
    @hongkai what do you want to do in life?
    Dedew
    I started for creative freedom—to work on things I love. It’s still about that, but now it’s also about mastering new passions while crafting my own future. Freedom first, everything else follows!
    @dedew16 Fair enough :)
    Sonia Kandola
    I've only recently gotten into entrepreneurship and tried building something for myself! This was really driven by a lack of connection to my previous job, feeling kind of stuck, no growth, no challenge, etc. I really want to see what I'm capable of building, if I can truly have the discipline, accountability, creativity, etc. to make something really great. I want to feel connected and engaged with what I'm doing. I want to feel invested, especially if I'm dedicating so much of my time and life to it. I also want the financial freedom, control over my own time. I want to build wealth so I can give back to my family and community! Have you found that your reasons or purpose has changed or developed since you started? Has anything surprised you?
    @soniakandola Sonia, do you develop anything? I achieved already what I wanted and since then I am only searching for new ways how to challenge myself.