• Subscribe
  • 🗣️ You are a solo founder company. How do you talk about yourself?

When I was a student of marketing, we talked about Tone of Voice and how to talk about "ourselves". – It sounds serious. – And it seems like your company is a big complex entity. These points are valid, but when I know that behind the company is only one player (yes, other people cannot know about that), it sounds like a sc4m to me. How do you approach this?

Replies

Business Marketing with Nika
    minimalist phone: creating folders
    Feel free to get in touch on these social media. Twitter: https://x.com/BusMark_w_Nika LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/nika...
    Nancy Le
    Honestly, as a solo founder, I just talk about myself in a normal, casual way. I don't try to sound like a big company. I'm just me, and I'm okay with that. I think being authentic and transparent is key. I don't want to come across as fake or trying to be something I'm not. So, I just keep it real and relatable.
    @nancy_autonomous I like this approach. When you will be growing, you will announce it. The growth is more appreciated more – that you offered a work opportunity to someone else. :)
    Karl Mechkin
    I would say it depends on the form of incorporation. If you are registered as a sole proprietorship, then singular 'I' feels more natural, but if it is a company, as a separte legal entity (LLC, Corp. or other), then there is no longer just 'you', but also this legally distinct structure, so I think you can refer to both as 'we'. Bonus points, if you get some help from others, for example accountant, lawyer or other contractors, even if you don't hire anyone full time, but use their support ocasionally.
    @karl_mechkin Interesting POV. For me it was quite abnormal to say about me as "we" – to be honest, I did it. But then not. But at certain circumstances I need to shift to "we" because of what I mentioned under Alex's comment.
    Alex AI
    The most important thing is how you perceive yourself. If you see yourself as a company, act like a big company. If you consider yourself a solo player, then be solo. But above all, don’t hesitate, because that hesitation is noticeable. Sometimes, when people ask you if you’re a company, and you start explaining that you’re actually one person handling the work of five, it leads to confusion. Instead, just say: “Yes, we are a company, and we have a team of 10 people doing this and that.” No one will know that you aren’t actually 10 people. It’s more about self-perception. Of course, I’m not suggesting you lie. The most important thing is not to lie. But if you can really handle five different tasks in an excellent way and have the capacity to manage them, I don’t see a problem in presenting yourself as a company.
    @byalexai One thing that I see as the reason to lie is that people are frightened of the fact they would be expected to charge less. Because why should the solo ask for 5x or 10x more when he doesn't have to pay those 5 or ten another people. And it really happens but I do not see it as fair. Because when you skilled yourself previously into that state, no one paid you that "lost" time for upskilling yourself. So the "high amounts" of money rightfully belong to you.
    Jawad Tijani
    Alta
    Alta
    Launching soon!
    That's a good question. I tend to say "we" since I have a few employees, but I’m still the one driving the vision and making most decisions. It feels like a team effort even though I’m the solo founder!
    @jawad_tijani if you have real employees, it makes sense, but when someone hires people from Fiverr or so, it is not a usual employer – employee relationship. But some people present it like it was.
    James Yang
    I use 'we' whenever it's the contribution of the entire team or when it aligns with the company's stance on any given situation. I use 'I' when I'm giving my own opinion on anything and it's independent of the company.
    @jamesyang8 but I suppose you have a team. But when you are a solo, do you use "We"?
    James Yang
    @busmark_w_nika Hmm had another think and I think it boils down to whether my branding is more personal or company focused. etc if I had a company called James' Mowing, unless it became a household name or a big company, I would use 'I' since it's leveraging my personal brand and I am perceived as directly associated with it. If I had a company called Everclean Mowing, I would use 'We' since the branding is focused around a separate company/entity. So it becomes 'Everclean Mowing and I' which is a collective 'We' even if I'm the only one working at Everclean Mowing, as the company has received it's own distinct branding/personality and is no longer directly associated with me anymore.
    @jamesyang8 this is taken more from the marketing perspective (brand identity) it is fact what angle of view one uses to interpret it. I would go for "We" when you are company, but it would still feel to me very uncomfortable knowing that I am the only one on the board.
    Peter Lisoskie
    The most powerful way to talk about yourself is to first be Relatable. That means to be authentic, genuine, and transparent. The second is to know, write out, and share your unique point of view (POV) story. Share what you stand for and what you stand against. Then share your change of perspectives that gets them thinking about you as a solution. Those that resonate, you'll attract into your tribe. I share my perspective on this in the video. Tap on the link: https://app.relatable.pro/view?a...
    Huzaifa Shoukat
    I use We Everywhere :)) It Feels Like I am Founder of an UNICORN (SOON)...