• Subscribe
  • 🗣️ 3 changes you should do in your daily communication

The way you use words and how you think about yourself and your goals can influence your perception as well as others' perception towards you. 🔄 Try to make these 3 swaps: 1️⃣ BUT → AND – When you give someone feedback, you say something good in the first part and then add a "BUT", automatically erasing everything good you've said so far. "BUT" is usually followed by bad things. – Try to compose things the way you use "AND". – E. g. Highlight what you like about the idea "AND" what could be done better. 2️⃣ NO → NOT YET – Don't put good deals on the backburner completely. Maybe the offer is just not well-timed yet. Instead of a complete "NO", say "NOT YET". – You leave the door open for the future. 3️⃣ SORRY → THANK YOU – Instead of regret, express gratitude. – Sorry evokes a state of humiliation, while "to be thankful" is a state of understanding. What are your swaps? I am thinking about writing a newsletter on this topic. Should I?

Replies

Nathan Covey
    These are fantastic. Thank you Nika. I especially like #1. I always try to not use the word but 🤣 No buts!
    Business Marketing with Nika
    minimalist phone: creating folders
    @nathancovey I understand you try not to use the word "but", BUT did you know that it doesn't help at all to convince people? :DDDDD
    📬 Today, I will send a newsletter so feel free to subscribe and not miss it: https://businessandmarketing.sub...
    Dan O'Malley
    This is a great newsletter topic! Communicating clearly and confidently is important. The words we use can determine other people's perceptions of us. I really like #3 and have been doing that lately. Not a swap, but I've been trying to reduce my use of "actually", "just", and "I think." Wes Kao has a great newsletter on Substack and recently covered this topic. It would be great to get your insights as well.
    @dan_o_malley Thank you for the feedback, I also subscribed to his newsletter. Verbal and non-verbal communication is a huge topic and would like to unhide more from this field :)
    Karl Mechkin
    I would add changing "I am" to "I feel", especially addressing negative emotions, which is also important in communication with oneself. It highlights that it is a temporary, often subjective state, that doesn't define you as a person, at the same time validating your current emotions.
    @karl_mechkin Karl, that is good point, I did a note to this as I try to grow the list :) Where did you read about that? :)
    Rutger Hensel
    Not yet! :D And good insights! Thank you!
    @rutgerrr if you get some in the future, I hope I will be the first person who will know about them! :D
    Rutger Hensel
    @busmark_w_nika jk I love these! I've implemented some of these already. But should print it and hang on the wall next to my pc :) Email like a boss from reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/coolgui...
    @rutgerrr Cool, that is your picture on Reddit? :)
    Toni
    Thanks for sharing, simple yet crucial changes. SORRY → THANK YOU: do you have examples of how to reframe this ? PS: yes you should write about it
    @toni_pm Sure, maybe something like... Instead of: Sorry, I am late. Thank you for your patience and waiting for me.
    André J
    If you say. Your wrong. Instead say. Your argument is wrong 😏. Fight the argument not the person. 😸