• Subscribe
  • Are you concerned about the invasion of privacy by tech companies?

Bigger companies pay for SOC 2 certification to make sure that data are safe. The question is: Is it enough for you? How possible do you protect yourself and your data from your side?

Replies

YanXu
    I believe in the information age, data security is just a feeling of being safe, or storing data in a local location where the network cannot access it.
    Business Marketing with Nika
    minimalist phone: creating folders
    @all_appp_games I try to store my data mostly on my disc but there is still a risk.
    YanXu
    @busmark_w_nika I believe that as long as there is no network transmission and the storage device is not connected to the internet, it is relatively safe.
    @all_appp_games In terms of the internet connectivity, yes, but there are some threats – like stealing the disc, it's damaging etc. But still better than own those data by someone's else :D
    Anurag Mehta
    Always has been, and always will be!!! It's the price we pay for convenience, right? Isolation is an option, but only for so long.
    @anurag_mehta Isolation – yes, but no in the long term. Because when you want to function in this world, you need to be at pace and be flexible somehow. It is choosing between options and you are trying to choose the best possible one at that current moment.
    Anurag Mehta
    @busmark_w_nika Yes, like I said "only for so long".
    André J
    Leave behind as little info as possible, preferably use a temp-mail service like https://www.temp-mail.org
    @sentry_co the only person who is doing a good job in leaving as little info as possible is you :D
    André J
    @busmark_w_nika Lead by example they said 🤘...until google thinks your doing something fishy, and sends you through 20 back and forth with support to be able to make payments for g-suite 😅 it comes at a cost at times 🥵
    Matt Cloud
    I just don't usetheir products!
    @t3_cloud kind of paranoia? :D Understand! :D
    Simona O'Neill
    Google knows everything about me I’m sure 🙄Some people are super private so care about it a lot. Last thing I want to be is paranoid. Ireland is part of the EU so it’s quite strict on data privacy and protection. Yet data leaks and hacking incidents still happen. Not sure there’s anything we can do about that. Can’t live your life in fear and constantly worrying. Just don’t do stupid things and don’t share unnecessary info.
    @simona_o_neill3 the last 2 sentences should be printed and hung above my bed! :D
    Olivia Rose Thompson
    It's a valid concern for sure. Feels like our data is out there whether we like it or not. Best we can do is be mindful of what we share online and use privacy tools where possible, but total privacy seems like wishful thinking these days with how much tech has invaded our lives. Would love to hear other perspectives though - what do folks think, is digital privacy even realistic anymore?
    @lucasbenjaminfoster1 hahaha, we cannot be anonymous anymore with all those confirmation of our identity :D
    Olivia Rose Thompson
    Privacy is definitely a concern in the digital age. Even if companies claim data is secure, you never know who might gain access through hacking, insider leaks, or changes in company policy. Storing sensitive data locally offline is the only way to be 100% sure it stays private. But for most people, minimizing what you share and using privacy-focused services is probably sufficient and more practical than being totally offline. It's a spectrum and people have to find the balance that works for them between privacy and taking advantage of online services.
    Elijah Scott Fitzgerald
    No doubt big tech companies have a ton of our data, but I think it's still important to take precautions. Using end-to-end encryption, opting out of tracking where possible, and being mindful of what you share online can help maintain some level of privacy in the digital age. But you're right, true data security may be more of a feeling than reality at this point.
    Tatiana Vdovychenko
    Privacy concerns with tech companies are real. While SOC 2 certification helps ensure data security, it's not a complete safeguard against misuse. To protect yourself, use strong passwords, enable two-factor authentication, limit what you share, regularly update privacy settings, and consider using encryption tools. Staying informed and proactive is key, so don't just rely on certifications alone. Here is an interesting article by JetSoftPro a software development service: https://jetsoftpro.com/blog/cybe...