• Subscribe
  • How to promote your startup effectively on Reddit

Sahil Patel
    21 replies
    Reddit is a goldmine for getting sign-ups, users for your products, and valuable feedback. We've been using Reddit to acquire users for https://learningloop.com, and I thought I'd share some strategies that have worked well for us: 1. Find the right subreddit: Find subreddits where potential users might hang out. subreddits like /r/indiehackers, /r/sideproject and /r/Imadethis are good for self-promo. The larger ones like /r/Entrepreneur/ and /r/Startup are more strict. And the bots will get you quicker than the mods will. Many subreddits have weekly or monthly threads where you can share your product. If you're looking for related subreddits to join, check out this tool: https://anvaka.github.io/sayit/. You can type in any subreddit, and it will show you a graph of related subreddits you can join. 2. Learn what works for each subreddit: Spend an hour browsing the most popular posts in your target subreddits. Note the type of content that gets the most engagement. This research will help you craft posts that resonate with each community. 3. Follow the rules closely: Each subreddit has its own rules. Read them carefully and follow them. Moderators can be strict, and breaking rules can get you banned. 4. Focus on value, not selling: Instead of direct marketing, Share details on how you built your product or give advice on your expertise area. they love to hear about the behind-the-scenes process of building a product. 5. Craft attention-grabbing titles: Your title is your first impression. Make it clear and interesting. For example: "I made [product] to solve [problem]", "How I [achieved result] in [timeframe]", "Looking for feedback: Our tool helps [specific audience] to [achieve goal]" 6. Tailor your content: We tried posting on multiple subreddits but a few posts were removed. So lesson learned don't post the same content on multiple subreddits. Each subreddit is unique. Customize your posts for each one.

Replies

Yatheen Brahma
    Hey Sahil, insightful post, I have also been looking to start working on Reddit marketing, would you mind if I get connected on LinkedIn for more information?
    Sahil Patel
    @yatheen_brahma Sure, feel free to ping me on X/ LinkedIn
    FY
    This really helps. Would give it a try. Thank you so much for sharing!
    Sahil Patel
    @fyuhkust You're welcome! Let me know how it goes
    Sahil Patel
    Btw, you can find the list of subreddits here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsh...
    Sid
    @sahilypatel Great tips, Sahil. But why is this Google Doc not opening?
    Sahil Patel
    @siddhart_shukla done. edited the link
    Andreas Sohns
    This is some of the best advice I have read on reddit, thank you for sharing your insights. I'm planning to do the same for Gleans, would need some advice on the same. Would you mind connecting on LinkedIn?
    Sahil Patel
    @andreas_sohns Sure, I’d love to help in any way I can
    murph
    This is solid, ty. Have run into the same issues before -- bot removal, etc. Will echo point 6. Different subreddits will resonate with different aspects of your product, so switch up what part of your value prop you lead with.
    Daria Ofitserova
    Thank you! That's comprehensive. I've always thought about Reddit as a marketing channel but never tried.
    Malka Parveen
    Be transparent and honest about your promotion. Reddit users appreciate authenticity, so share your startup in a way that’s open and genuine.
    Karishma Yadav
    Use Reddit’s AMA (Ask Me Anything) feature to promote your startup. It’s a great way to interact with users and share your story directly.
    Vauren Mathew
    The subreddit tool is an absolute banger! Thank you!
    Sahil Patel
    @vauren Glad you found the tool valuable!
    Richard Reis
    AI Document Translator
    AI Document Translator
    Little addition, I also built a tool to help you find the right subreddit: https://aisubredditfinder.com/ 😄
    Anthony Sellitto
    Reddit marketing gearup is what people are flipping too. Trusting user opinions... Google paid millions just so it can report searches of Reddit. Been hit or mis on the music opinion side for AX3.com
    Bilal Asif
    Launching soon!
    Very informative Sahil! Thanks you for sharing. Point 4 would prove to be very insightful for one's product. Great work!
    AuroraW
    AIPhone.AI
    AIPhone.AI
    Thank you so much for sharing! These are incredibly helpful🌟
    Marc-Oliver Gewaltig
    Thanks a lot. This is very helpful. I was a bit lost with Reddit.