I'm building my dream project! Location based social media platform!

Joshua Adatoz
11 replies
Hi all, Just found here and very happy to see like minded people! I just started building my dream project (I kept it in my mind for 10 years!) one month ago. It is a location based social media platform. "Twitter on a map" is a good way of explaining it. I always wanted to merge location and communication together, so leaving a message on the map is pretty interesting for me. If you like to check it, it is at https://shouterra.com Please share your comments or any other ideas, I don't have lots of users so I need inputs and opinions. Cheers!

Replies

Luis Sevilla
Thinking outside of the box...I like it!
Jose Garrido
Hi Joshua, great idea and good luck! How are you addressing privacy and security in your platform when sharing your location even if approximate becomes such a delicate issue nowadays?
Joshua Adatoz
@josej30 Hi Jose! To be honest, I leave it to the user currently. The "Share from your current location" button adds an additional checkbox before sending the shout, explaining the exact location sharing. If the user accepts it, system records the shout from that location. So they know what is going out there. But I might add some more layers of information on top of this to let users know again. For other shouts, user can create it anywhere on the map, so no concerns about exact location.
Elena Tsemirava
Hi Joshua, nice to meet you! Your idea is interresting but how you whant to monetize your product?
Joshua Adatoz
@elenat Hi Elena! Thank you for the question. It has a lot of potential to be honest. At first glance, collaborating with local businesses and organizations. So they can show relative information on the map. For example, you can put a shout on your local branch to show your weekly discounts. Or for larger brands, country wise ads; we can add a custom shout at the beginning of the shout list depending on the users map location and users actual location. For example, you are a user from UK and looking at Spain right? You can see some travel agency ads from UK to Spain. This will be incredible to have.
Tyler Barber
Nice! I’ve built a social media platform too. I was nervous because a lot of people think the giants already have the market cornered, but there’s actually room for all of us. Question for you, how do you plan to handle content moderation? It can be a bit difficult when you have a lot of it coming in.
Joshua Adatoz
@senseclub Hi Tyler! I get your feeling, I was thinking the same, "They can do this in a day if they want to!" but I love coding and making my dream real, so let them come, at least I'd say "I tried" :) For moderation, I'm planning to assign moderators. They can get notifications for the areas they are responsible for.
Rasha Rahman
Very curious on what target market you are trying to capture with this! Very neat
Joshua Adatoz
@rasha_clairity Hi Rasha! Actually, this project can be related to many people so the market is pretty large. Travellers, local people who are looking for information about their neighbourhood, emergency teams, reviewers etc etc. For me, this project means live information feed linked to the location. I want to be able to see what is going on on the world.