• Subscribe
  • Is Substack really good platform for writing newsletters?

Yesterday, I wrote my very first email from this platform. I read somewhere that Beehiiv is for better monetisation and Substack for "authors". Well, I somehow didn't get it completely because I messed up the email a little bit. 😀 Can you please share your experiences if you have any? Good tips for using it are also welcome. (It can be only better.) 😀 I leave a copy of yesterday's newsletter in the comments, you can say what you think.

Replies

Business Marketing with Nika
    minimalist phone: creating folders
    Still thinking whether not to go back to Mailchimp :D https://businessandmarketing.sub...
    @sentry_co yes, it is a way how to pull people in, I "transferred" a few articles but need to customise it a bit as it completely wrecked the formatting, and design and I set it all up 30 minutes before sending the very first mail. It is on my task list to fix that.
    André J
    @busmark_w_nika I think having a landing page for past writings, is gd for gaining new readers. Most people like to sample before they commit.
    Two Heads
    No experiences with Substack, but I actually never had a reason to step away from either Mailchimp or Mailerlite. Why did you change?
    @twoheads I wanted to have polls inside the mail but it seems I am lacking so many features on Substack – such things as customising the UI (fonts, colours), and creating a solid landing page for subscribers. Not so sure whether it was a good step.
    @twoheads Indeed, it can be because they offer some monetization options but I think you need to have some system how to improve such little things as landing pages, articles, images, etc. :)
    Two Heads
    @busmark_w_nika ah ok! I need to check Substack out then :). Sounds like a great tool!
    Nishat Shahriyar
    Substack is good if you are starting. It has a good discovery, amazing editor and functionality.
    @rednishat Nishat, thanks for the feedback. Do you have your own? The thing is I am not starting. I already had Mailchimp but exported (almost) everything to this platform so people can repeatedly read the content.
    Harshil Patel
    My experience with Substack has been amazing. The overall experience of using the platform is so freaking good. I have been writing since 3 months now and damn... 🔥
    @harshil_patel03 Can you please share your newsletter? I would like to see how it works actually :D
    Harshil Patel
    @busmark_w_nika Here it is - https://thebbpodcast.substack.com/ I write for The B&B Podcast (A podcast I do with 2 other builders). I am using Substack to do show notes in a more crazier way. Let me know what you think.
    @harshil_patel03 I can see that you are intersecting it with YouTube creation. Did it help somehow in terms of getting traffic on YouTube and vice versa? Because I am doing something similar.
    Harshil Patel
    @busmark_w_nika We are not actively promoting the Newsletter yet and we do not have many subscribers to start with. Substack for us is a aftermath - so we publish the video first, promote it throughout the week, and after 5-6 days a Substack blog summarising the video goes out. How are you using Substack? I see you have good numbers..
    @harshil_patel03 That makes sense. I also first give a YouTube video a space/time to see real interest on that platform and then promote it on social media, via newsletter and so on. That follower count is migrated from Mailchimp.
    Udaya Sri
    I’m pretty new to this, but what platform would you suggest for someone starting from scratch?
    @udaya_sri I started with Mailchimp TBH, but Substack also can be a good option. It depends on what you want to achieve or what you want to do the most. I think that Mailchimp is very good for tracking data and analysis. And if you want to get back to past issues, Substack or Beehiiv. Really depends on you what you want.
    Udaya Sri
    @busmark_w_nika Got it! Thanks for the advice.
    @udaya_sri Welcome! Keep exploring :)
    Muhammad G
    Launching soon!
    Substack is ideal for writers. It's simple, helps build an audience, and mistakes are expected.
    @muhammad_g Personal experience? 👀
    murph
    I wrote on beehiiv every week for a year. All their newsletters come with a customizable landing page, which i believe they are building out into a more of a designable website. They also have the edge on growth and monetization tools, with the built-in ad network, referral components, etc.
    @duffdevone I noticed that some creators are paid (from collabs?) Do you also have this?
    murph
    @busmark_w_nika no our newsletter stayed free, other than the occasional promo of our own products. I believe the answer is yes though. You can tap into their ad network and brands or other newsletters will pay a certain cpm/cpa on conversions from placements in your content.
    @duffdevone I will see how it is with Substack and if don't meet my needs or requirements, I will go for another platform.
    Anil Meena
    I see the difference like having a social media account vs email inbox.. Substack is more like social media for bloggers, so you get their audience and on beehive you maintain your own mailing list.. I think If you are just starting out and have no following anywhere on the internet, its best to start with substack and then slowly move to having your own audience to beehive..
    Thanks for explaining it. For me it is now crucial to build follower counts :) @anil_meena21
    Alex AI
    Hey, Nika! Such an interesting topic! Since I've written, I’m writing, and I’ll keep writing newsletters, I’ll jump in with my opinion. Substack - Personally, I really like it. It’s got an extremely minimalist design, it’s easy to use, and intuitive. As a reader, I also find it easy to navigate. Beehiv - Great automations, but you need to spend some time on the platform. It wasn’t easy for me at first (or at least it wasn’t), and the colorful interface is a bit too much for my taste. ConvertKit - The automations are also top-notch. It’s easy to write with, but incredibly chaotic for readers. The cool thing is that you can set up multiple automations and bombard your readers with tons of emails.
    Hey Alex, thanks for the POV. If MailChimp had polls inside newsletters, I would stay there, but Substack has it and I was somehow curious how it goes with them. I will test it and see whether I stick to the platform. @byalexai
    Lakshya Singh
    I am not sure about how effective it is for a creator but I certainly am subscribed to 100s of subsctack newsletter mostly because whenever I subscribe to one, it promotes 5 more which I am defintiely interested in! And I don't have to put my email again to subscribe again, so I just subscribe to all of them! So, I think its good for new creators for sure! Btw, Jupitrr AI is live now. Its free to use! So we would love to get your feedback on it!
    Hii Lakshya, I have already seen Jupitrr and also left my POV in the morning :) Regarding the newsletter, you are right, it is easier to grow follower base with them :) @lakshya_singh
    Rahul Parmar
    Substack is a great platform for writing newsletters, offering easy setup, built-in email delivery, and monetization options.
    @rahulparmar2405 Maybe in the future will shift to monetisation too :)
    Vaibhav
    Flow State Training
    Flow State Training
    Launching soon!
    It's good for starting out, for sure.