• Subscribe
  • Should be there a limit on the PH for featured products?

Each day, many products are launched on Product Hunt. Most of them won't make it to the "featured" category, and with the platform's popularity, it can be difficult to "scan" through all of them. Would you limit the number of products launched each day? How many? Feel free to share your approach. πŸ™‚πŸ‘‡

Replies

Sawyer Wyatt
    A daily limit could definitely help with browsing. Maybe around 10 featured products would keep things neat and easy to scan.
    Business Marketing with Nika
    minimalist phone: creating folders
    @sawyer_wyatt Yes, agree. Tho it would be problematic for the platform to get attention because possible hunters, users etc would lose interest as they might reckon they weren't featured. Traffic you know. πŸ™ˆ
    I think that 50 could be manageable :D but more... I do not have that capacity :D
    Matilde Neffe
    @busmark_w_nika I feel like 30 is a lot already
    @matildeneffe yeah, when you want to spend more time over it, 30 is lot.
    Matilde Neffe
    Completely agree. That or share how many launches are already planned for the day so people can be more strategic in their approach. Right now it’s a bit of a gamble.
    @matildeneffe Pretty curious how the platform will be evolving.
    Dan O'Malley
    @matildeneffe This is a great idea!
    Luka Brzin
    I think the limit should be 20 and you would have to submit the product a month before the actual launch.
    Kostya Bolshukhin
    @luka_brzin I feel that submitting 30d could add more stress to the founders' lives. We had tiny changes on website and materials week before launch. More over it will likely mean that you will go crazy on marketing your launch 30d earlier and it could be draining. There are some perks of short time scale.
    @luka_brzin @kostyabolsh Do you mean that way that people could also customise that launch within the period of 30 days? Because I believe there are many changes between launch and setting up the launch.
    Sahil Mahalley
    No, why so?
    @sahil_mahalley Just asking how people perceive it.
    Udaya Sri
    True. I think so too.
    @udaya_sri How many products should be the limit?
    Udaya Sri
    @busmark_w_nika I think 50 is good as you said.
    Kostya Bolshukhin
    There are days with super strong competition and a lot of cool products and days when I got less excited about the featured list. If there would be a cap for # of submits I am afraid there would be some ways to manipulate winning. LIke ask some friends to schedule the same day as you, then cancel, and voila β€” better chances to get noticed. Plus it would be fully on PH team to select who is worthy and it will get even more into curated lists thingy
    @kostyabolsh yep, quite true that "cherry picking" couldn't be totally okay. And it would be probably very subjective
    Vaibhav
    Flow State Training
    Flow State Training
    Launching soon!
    I think this is a good idea but much needed one too. Anyways, it is getting difficult to get featured on PH.
    @vaibhavdwivedi Sometimes I wonder why some are featured and others are not.
    Vaibhav
    Flow State Training
    Flow State Training
    Launching soon!
    @busmark_w_nika At this point, it is too complicated to decide the factors here.
    Umar Saleem
    B2B Rocket
    B2B Rocket
    Launching soon!
    I believe the current limit on featured products may restrict the visibility of many deserving projects. Despite significant effort, some products still need to make it to the featured section. I suggest allowing an open competition where the community can decide which products they want to support. Alternatively, limiting the number of products that can be upvoted could also be effective. Additionally, I propose a rule requiring a product to have a 'Coming Soon' page for at least one month before its launch. This would ensure ample time for the community to discover and engage with new products.
    @umar_saleem Agree with what you have said. Regarding limited upvoting – do you mean by that as users (e.g. me) I could support only a few products? To have limited votes? (just trying to understand your recommendation)-
    Umar Saleem
    B2B Rocket
    B2B Rocket
    Launching soon!
    @busmark_w_nika Yes, for example, a user can only upvote five products; in that case, the user will be more focused on choosing a better product. We usually see people upvoting many products, or in some cases, I have seen users upvoting all products, which is not helpful at all
    Umar Saleem
    B2B Rocket
    B2B Rocket
    Launching soon!
    @iamsidra Yes, people come and try to launch immediately rather than connect with the community and get some feedback.
    @umar_saleem you are right. When people only ask for upvotes – it is not the result of a good product – just the result of having many people who are vulnerable to upvote.
    murph
    yeah you might be on to something. gotta think limiting the number would benefit both sides. the tradeoff then is you'd probably have to implement some sort of queueing system to schedule products.
    @duffdevone Do you have a clear idea how to do it?
    murph
    @busmark_w_nika honestly i think this is the model Uneed is going with. Not sure what the daily launch limit is, but you can list for free and wait or pay a fee to skip the line. I think it works because that site is newer so the line isn't that long (maybe 4-6 weeks). With the volume and popularity of Product Hunt I think the risk is the line would be so far into the future it wouldn't be relevant anymore... tough problem.
    Matt Cloud
    Yes.. we would actually be able to review instead of being overhemled with new products
    @t3_cloud What would be "managable number" of products launched each day?
    Tokiya Abe
    AI Product Hunter
    AI Product Hunter
    Let me share my understanding of why PH features only 20% - As the premise, PH users want to easily find products that they are happy to know about. As a measure to increase the probability of this happening, it is reasonable to display only products that the PH team (or "PH algorithm") thinks are good. - If there is too many upvoting target, the ranking will not function as the "popularity ranking" (the influence of voting block become too large)
    @tokiyaabe I understand that point but isn't that picking kind of subjective? Because many good products don't have to be featured then which is a little bit pitty.
    My3 Murthy
    I agree- but i see why they would hesitate doing so. 1. The platform get's the traffic because it is open to app. It gives everyone a fair chance. 2. It is easier for the management team: Let's say they implement 50 products. How does one choose 50 projects? If it is first come first serve, we will still be missing out on so many products. If it is staff picks, imagine how the employees social media be bombarded with thousands of messages from folks everyday. People are already upset that they don't get featured- imagine if people can't even get published?
    @my3_murthy That's true. Even I was bombarded with why they were not featured. πŸ˜… ("Guys, I am not a customer support of PH.") πŸ˜„
    Zebracat AI
    Zebracat AI
    Launching soon!
    Right agreed, it could be be 40 to 50, i think good enough
    Brian Perez
    Setting a cap on the number of featured products could be helpful. I’d go with 12 per day to keep things balanced.
    @perez_brian When you take it... 12 is still enough when you also test them.
    William M
    Limiting featured products to 15 per day might be a good move. It’d help users focus on the best offerings without feeling overwhelmed.
    @shannon_m_william I would like to see that experiment with limited options.
    Marcus Logan
    Just a few days ago I launched my product and it was not Featured, this stopped my product from getting equal visibility based on their ambiguous rules. As, it is an open and free market so every product should get equal visibility and then community can choose which one is good and which one is not. They can introduce such a system if they want where they can limit how many products should launch in a day but only if they Feature all of them.
    @pqp_social Uff, I am sorry to hear that, Marcus. Have you tried some alternatives to the PH?
    Bilal Asif
    Launching soon!
    I believe every product must be given the equal visibility and chance to shine through. An appropriate limit for PH for launching product should be somewhere between 30-40.
    Alexander Alkor
    I think, yes, but I'm not sure how these limits should be managed. What are your options on this?
    @arthen_factory If there were some rules, I would rather test them and those who would become favourites, would be applied fully. Many good were mentioned here, e.g. giving a limited number of upvotes each day.
    Alexander Alkor
    @busmark_w_nika one about upvotes is especially good, I think It would make them more like a currency which shows real priorities and preferences