• Subscribe
  • Video or written content? How do you prefer to read product help guides/documentation? ๐Ÿ› 

Neri Raanani
    65 replies
    You're trying out a new product and need some help, so you turn to the company's help center. Do you look for how-to videos or written instructions?

Replies

Sean Song
    Both. For myself, some cases I won't watch video because I cannot turn the sound on. So in that case txt works. And then when sound is on or AirPod with me, video is better.
    Neri Raanani
    @seansong Important case scenario to consider, thank you.
    Luis Hernandez Peรฑa
    For detailed information I prefer written instructions over video. I tend to get bored by videos while text allows me to go to any section easily. Additionally most of the time I need to copy/paste samples or search for a specific topic. For a presentation or features introduction, video is probably better.
    Neri Raanani
    You mentioned interesting scenarios, some of which I had not thought about and should be taken into consideration. Thank you for sharing!
    Denis Pimenov
    I prefer both videos and written instructions. This allows me to understand as accurately as possible what the new product is like.
    Neri Raanani
    @new_user_11620223ff4de5436 My thought exactly. Thanks!
    Dylan Merideth
    Demo videos for quick help and thorough product docs for deeper explanation
    Khalid M.
    SearchEgg.io
    @dylan_merideth Hey, nice seeing you here too, i noticed you from indiehackers. Love the vapour wave aesthetic btw.
    Neri Raanani
    @dylan_merideth Probably the best strategy, I agree. Thank you! :)
    Brad
    I prefer Video content.
    Neri Raanani
    @brad_fusion Thank you for sharing! ๐Ÿ’ช
    Fares
    I prefer the video! I find it more fun and faster
    Neri Raanani
    @fares_aktouf I appreciate you sharing this!
    Selman Babayigit
    Both. Written content will probably give me more information, but a page with video content would be more interesting.
    Neri Raanani
    @selman_babayigit That's what we're aiming for! Thanks for your comment! ๐Ÿ’ช
    Sergul Sungur
    I prefer to watch if there is any how to videos rather than written content. But for more detailed information I'm looking at documents.
    Neri Raanani
    @sergul_sungur1 Same here ๐Ÿ’ช
    Pramit Marattha
    I'd take both of them.
    Iya Mendoza
    Both? Haha it really depends on the topic. If it's a quick guide or questions answerable by 1 or two words/sentences, I'd go for text. But if it's more about technicality, I usually prefer video. But if it doesn't work, I resort to written content. I think that's why both video and written content is important and a valuable factor for Google algorithm.
    Neri Raanani
    @iyamendoza01 I definitely agree with you! Thanks for sharing!
    Andrew Isherwood
    Both. Loom is great for doing short guides, and then doing a transcript (not word for word but a guide following the video) once you've recorded it is easy. Then you have two pieces of content to publish instead of one :D
    Neri Raanani
    @andrew_isherwood1 Definitely, Loom is a good approach here. I'll look that up. Thank you!
    Joanne Hurley
    For me both. It depends on how my attention span is on the day. I like video for an overview if it's short and sweet.
    Kate Dalessi
    It really depends on the complexity of the product! I generally prefer text describing steps with screenshots of the product's interface. But when I was figuring our Google Analytics back in the day, I was grateful to have video tutorials:)
    Neri Raanani
    @katyaveremeichik Amazing, loved your comment. Thank you!
    Lubna Amber
    I like video content.
    Amelia Charlie
    Video content is always easy to understand and more appealing.
    Bilal Anwar
    WorkHub
    Launching soon!
    I prefer both. Video with written instructions
    Bhumi Khokhani
    I prefer written instructions over video for detailed information. The text allows me to quickly jump to any area. Furthermore, I frequently need to copy/paste samples or search for a certain topic.
    Neri Raanani
    @bhumikhokhani Important note! Thank you
    Evgeniy Yakubovskiy
    Attractive videos capture the audience's interest and keep them engaged throughout the video. That's why I'm all for videos!
    Neri Raanani
    @evgeniyyakubovckiy Videos do attract attention, but for help guides/documentation it's less about hooking the audience and more about being helpful and efficient to a user in need. Still, videos are indeed a good fit here as well - probably both written and video together. Thanks for sharing!
    Marina ฤuriฤ‡
    LeadDelta professional relationships CRM
    Usually both. A video that is under 10 minutes followed up with a bullet point explanation step by step.
    Joe Kattan
    Check out Scribe! It's great for explaining stuff
    Neri Raanani
    @joekattan Thanks! I'll definitely check it out.