• Subscribe
  • What was your first job?

Jennifer Laura
    109 replies

Replies

Owen McCrink
    Working in a plastic injection moulding factory whilst at high school, making oil dip sticks. Worked there through most of university, eventually being a team lead looking after afternoon or night shifts. Good times, quite a while ago now!
    Jim Zhou
    I worked retail at a clothing shop in Century City, Los Angeles. It was terribly ran and after doing some math and realized that I wasn't going to be able to afford the parking (no employee parking passes), food, and rent just to work 12 hour shifts since they were also understaffed, I quit and they never actually paid me. Then I graduated into the middle of the recession and managed to get kicked out of a Cutco presentation (I fell asleep). I ended up selling cruise packages to old Chinese retirees for a year. Although my family has been in shipping for generations, turns out my grandfather's 30 years of running the state-run grain shipping operation on the grand canal did not pass down to his grandson, or maybe it's because people are not grain and cruise ships aren't barges. I got fired after a year. The next paying gig I had was second chair at a murder trial on the defense side where I managed to learn from scratch just enough programming to scrape every publicly visible facebook profile of a whole county of 50k people to better weed out jurors who say they can be impartial while not disclosing their very close ties to local law enforcement. We got a hung jury through that. I got paid $130/hr. Funny how these things work out. And since the trial was in another county, I left my desktop on at home mining dogecoin as a joke. 2013 was an interesting year.
    Jennifer Laura
    @jim_zhou You have a quite long and interesting story. πŸ˜€
    Matthew Busel
    Instant Programmatic SEO
    Instant Programmatic SEO
    First ever job? Back office of a car dealership. First job out of college? Product and Ops at a tiny VR startup.
    Suresh Kannan
    selling door-door consumer products. Quit the same day, then the real-first job, Foxpro developer!!
    Ketan Pandit
    I started out as a check out clerk at a super market. Learnt a lot about empathy in that role.
    Matthew Ritchie
    I was 17. I was a carpenter's assistant. My boss had half a thumb and was a draft dodger. One day, I saved him from falling three stories off a balcony by holding onto his tool belt. Definitely character building!
    Yuri Lisin
    Product Manager (Electronic Keyboards) at Yamaha Music 🎡🎹
    Susie
    My first job was for a local youth corp program painting the yellow curbs on public streets πŸ˜…
    Didem Yeniçağ Yağcı
    Flight stewardess :) A tough start for an IT person :)
    Divya
    Digital Marketing
    Tanoy Chowdhury
    Vmaker for Windows
    I worked as an attendant/supervisor in an arcade gaming zone. I had a 9-hour shift duty. It was fun as a first job.
    Tanoy Chowdhury
    Vmaker for Windows
    @jennifer_123 No really. I was just looking for a job to earn some bucks and use it for my education. But, yeah, I did enjoy my time there. And, became pretty good at dashing car and car racing
    Jennifer Laura
    @tanoy27 Do you have an interest in gaming?
    Paul VanZandt
    Working as a busboy in a crazy busy restaurant - it still haunts me πŸ˜‚
    Debarpita Sen
    I worked as a business journalist for over 3 years before I switched roles!
    Jha
    Zenpreneur
    Zenpreneur
    My first real job was in biz dev. And I got fired :') I created a video to share my thoughts...
    Jennifer Laura
    @shivam_jha3 Much appreciated. I think it was a blessing in disguise for you as you got motivated rather than losing hope.
    Jha
    Zenpreneur
    Zenpreneur
    @peter_agar πŸ™
    Jacob Dent
    Cart collector at your favorite retail store.
    Doug
    First real job was bartending in LA during college. First job where I used relevant "career skills" I created REALLY simple Instagram bots via simple trace tools that help populate influencer communities.
    My first job was when I was 13 and I delivered newspapers Mon-Sat
    Tony Yan
    Content Quality Score(E-E-A-T)
    Content Quality Score(E-E-A-T)
    My first job was as a software developer. It was more than 20 years ago.
    Kevin
    First Job (during school): designing websites, repairing computers and coding