• Subscribe
  • What was your first job?

Jennifer Laura
    109 replies

Replies

Owen McCrink
    Working in a plastic injection moulding factory whilst at high school, making oil dip sticks. Worked there through most of university, eventually being a team lead looking after afternoon or night shifts. Good times, quite a while ago now!
    Jim Zhou
    I worked retail at a clothing shop in Century City, Los Angeles. It was terribly ran and after doing some math and realized that I wasn't going to be able to afford the parking (no employee parking passes), food, and rent just to work 12 hour shifts since they were also understaffed, I quit and they never actually paid me. Then I graduated into the middle of the recession and managed to get kicked out of a Cutco presentation (I fell asleep). I ended up selling cruise packages to old Chinese retirees for a year. Although my family has been in shipping for generations, turns out my grandfather's 30 years of running the state-run grain shipping operation on the grand canal did not pass down to his grandson, or maybe it's because people are not grain and cruise ships aren't barges. I got fired after a year. The next paying gig I had was second chair at a murder trial on the defense side where I managed to learn from scratch just enough programming to scrape every publicly visible facebook profile of a whole county of 50k people to better weed out jurors who say they can be impartial while not disclosing their very close ties to local law enforcement. We got a hung jury through that. I got paid $130/hr. Funny how these things work out. And since the trial was in another county, I left my desktop on at home mining dogecoin as a joke. 2013 was an interesting year.
    Matthew Busel
    Instant Programmatic SEO
    Instant Programmatic SEO
    First ever job? Back office of a car dealership. First job out of college? Product and Ops at a tiny VR startup.
    Suresh Kannan
    selling door-door consumer products. Quit the same day, then the real-first job, Foxpro developer!!
    Ketan Pandit
    I started out as a check out clerk at a super market. Learnt a lot about empathy in that role.
    Matthew Ritchie
    I was 17. I was a carpenter's assistant. My boss had half a thumb and was a draft dodger. One day, I saved him from falling three stories off a balcony by holding onto his tool belt. Definitely character building!
    Yuri Lisin
    Product Manager (Electronic Keyboards) at Yamaha Music 🎡🎹
    Susie
    My first job was for a local youth corp program painting the yellow curbs on public streets πŸ˜…
    Didem Yeniçağ Yağcı
    Flight stewardess :) A tough start for an IT person :)
    Divya
    Digital Marketing
    Tanoy Chowdhury
    Vmaker for Windows
    I worked as an attendant/supervisor in an arcade gaming zone. I had a 9-hour shift duty. It was fun as a first job.
    Jennifer Laura
    @tanoy27 Do you have an interest in gaming?
    Tanoy Chowdhury
    Vmaker for Windows
    @jennifer_123 No really. I was just looking for a job to earn some bucks and use it for my education. But, yeah, I did enjoy my time there. And, became pretty good at dashing car and car racing
    Paul VanZandt
    Working as a busboy in a crazy busy restaurant - it still haunts me πŸ˜‚
    Debarpita Sen
    I worked as a business journalist for over 3 years before I switched roles!
    Jha
    Zenpreneur
    Zenpreneur
    My first real job was in biz dev. And I got fired :') I created a video to share my thoughts...
    Jennifer Laura
    @shivam_jha3 Much appreciated. I think it was a blessing in disguise for you as you got motivated rather than losing hope.
    Jacob Dent
    Cart collector at your favorite retail store.
    Doug
    First real job was bartending in LA during college. First job where I used relevant "career skills" I created REALLY simple Instagram bots via simple trace tools that help populate influencer communities.
    Martina Hackbartt
    ESL teacher in an online platform!
    My first job was when I was 13 and I delivered newspapers Mon-Sat
    Tony Yan
    Content Quality Score(E-E-A-T)
    Content Quality Score(E-E-A-T)
    My first job was as a software developer. It was more than 20 years ago.
    Kevin
    First Job (during school): designing websites, repairing computers and coding