• Subscribe
  • Is Wikipedia still a source number one when it comes to information or... ?

Remember those times when we were at high school or uni and were told off by professors that we shouldn't have Wikipedia as a source of information because it is open-sourced and "not trustworthy". (However, from my experience, it is not so easy to contribute information to Wikipedia with all that management by moderators. πŸ˜ƒ) But that is not important now. Do you consider Wikipedia or ChatGPT (other large language models) to be a source of information No. 1?

Replies

Udaya Sri
    I haven’t used Wikipedia in a long time, I think these days, most of us just go with LLMs.
    Konrad S.
    @udaya_sri What LLM / LLM-based service would you recommend as Wikipedia alternative? Does it link to the sources?
    Katia Yakovleva
    def LLMs!
    Konrad S.
    @katia_yakovleva What LLM / LLM-based service would you recommend as Wikipedia alternative?
    Karl Mechkin
    I have a bit of academic background, so for me, research papers and official documents are the most credible sources of information for professional purposes. Wikipedia could be a good starting point, especially that you can check cited sources. I don't trust LLMs much, as they have a tendency to hallucinate. In every case, just don't take anything at face value.
    Business Marketing with Nika
    minimalist phone: creating folders
    @karl_mechkin + these language models abstract from data they were dosed with (kind of selection is good) but mankind should use critical thinking. That is something no one else does for us.
    Omar A. Khan
    My primary source of information is Google.
    Vaibhav
    Flow State Training
    Flow State Training
    Launching soon!
    I am not sure about this but surprised to read the comments here!
    Nathan Covey
    Looking back, it was so dumb that schools discouraged Wikipedia. They should have taught us that it can be used as a starting point to find original sources. Wikipedia is a lot more trustworthy than AI now too 🀣
    @nathancovey πŸ˜… I am a little bit biased and cautious when it comes to information (Eastern Slavic syndrome :DDD ) but it was very old-school approach from teachers: memorise, do not help with Wikipedia information... totally against critical thinking.. sad story :D
    Jack Lipsky
    I've began to use LLMs much more frequently these days, but find that I still resort to Wikipedia to double check my info.
    @jack_lipsky1 Chat GPT or any other? :)
    Konrad S.
    Wikipedia! From my experience, Wikipedia is very often the best starting point to get information, by far. Of course, I do check the sources when I need to be certain. I don't have much experience with LLM-based services, so I would be interested what people consider the best "LLM-based Wikipedia alternative" (must be able to link to the sources!)
    Rahul Parmar
    Wikipedia is great, but LLMs offer deeper insights and personalized answers. Use both for the best results!